Bose Homespeaker or Soundbar 700 and 500 (not Soundtouch)

Hi everyone

Does anyone know how to add the new bose speakers? Like the soundbar 700 or homespeaker 500?
I do not mean the soundtouch series. I think bose stopped the soundtouch line…

Would be great if anyone can help me! it would be a distinguished thing because with these new bose speakers alexa would be perfectly implemented to homeassistant.

Hopefuly someone can help me!

6 Likes

Hey,

Since I am interested to buy a bose 700 soundbar I am curious what you mean.

Reading the docs I see a link to the supported devices.

The soundbar 700 and 500 are also listed there, so the should be compatible. Not sure if anyone can confirm?

Did you manage to connect your Bose Speaker with home assistant because I plan to buy one.

Look at this.

Looks like Homeassistant don’t support bose’s new speaker like soundbar 700, 500 and homespeaker 300 and 500… Hope they will solve this soon

There was an update, back in December, alluding to a revamp:

These things take time, especially when shifting direction at this stage as the admin mentioned.

Better to wait and have something nice.

Hopefully we will be getting an update soon.

3/30/2020 update (we are getting closer):

2 Likes

So the way I got this to work is with https://github.com/custom-components/alexa_media_player with Bose Soundbar 500, I’m using it for tts to let me know when a door is left open, light was left on, dryer is done, etc would be nice to see a more official integration but I’m happy with this for now

If there is a way to do this with Alexa, could it also be possible though google? if so I would really like to know.

1 Like

You dont buy bose because of HA you buy it because of the sound. Bose is better in sound than Sonos. Don’t care if it doesn’t turn on n I get home.

oke ,so we don’t have an API. I now us an IR blaster to set stuf.
an I use dnla to send text and music from my home.

code used for dlna
discovery:
enable:
- dlna

1 Like

I’m a sound engineer and the only reason people buy Bose is because their marketing. If you want true quality sound I’d go with seinheiser

I have the 300, 500 and 700. Not been happy about only being able to group them in the Bose app. Alexa support was dropped but never worked properly for me anyway.

I finally found a solution that works for me and might help some people so I’ll share it here.
My needs are:

• Group at will with HA
  • Start playing through HA on any speaker or group

I accomplished this by creating a chrome cast group in the Google Home app.
I had to use a VPN to enable chrome cast on the 500 speaker, was automatically on on the soundbar 700.
The group is accessible in tha chromcast integration in HA. I use spotcast to start playing though since I use Spotify for music.

I am not that far yet but I assume I can make Amazon call HA to connect them to Alexa or othe voice assistants.

Hope this helps someone.

I just also found that the soundbar 900 hasn’t been working with alexa for a apparently a month or two. I used to use the alexa media player integration to play voice and sound announcements (e.g. ringbell) in the soundbar. I’m reading now that people can no longer control the soundbar from alexa and from HA I see the soundbar media player as “offline” all the time, and so does the Alexa App in my phone, even if the alexa account is properly set in the soundbar app. Terrible bose support and marketing as they still announce “alexa support” for this product.

@thdg can you elaborate RE “making amazon call HA to connect the soundbar to Alexa or other voice assistant”? did you succeed?

I’m thinking of moving the soundbar to the “google cast” integration (will do soon apparently they need a fixed IP address for this, as the integration is not able to auto-discover the soundbar for some reason) and then I need to figure out a way to do text-to-speech to the device to recover the functionality I lost, and adapt a bunch of automations that used it.

@ariel

I have both Alexa and Chrome cast working on the same devices. Support from BOSE is very disappointing…

After I connected my HA instance to Alexa all my scripts show up in the Alexa app as scenes.
I “assume” (have not had the time to test this out) I can create a routine in Alexa to call the script just like you do for scenes.

I also have HA integrated to Alexa via a custom skill, that has been solid for years. What broke for me (and apparently everyone else) is the Bose integration with Alexa, Alexa no longer sees the Bose soundbar as media player. I was using that functionality to have do announcements, volume control etc

1 Like

it seems there is an api since a few month now…
from what I could find it is called Switchboard API bose. but everything is in German.
Who know, maybe some day. :slight_smile:

also found this:

The switchboard API is pretty old, and since its “release”, BOSE has removed their developer portal and all traces of the API and its documentation.
They never opened it up, there was a waiting list you could get on, to maybe get access to the API, but that is also removed.
The PHP-code you link to has not been updated in 3 years, and everything else regarding this api seems to be equally dead…