Brightness_move: - help

Hi,

I have a MOES dimmer. In the documentation it says:

{
  "brightness_move": -40, // Starts moving brightness down at 40 units per second
  "brightness_move": 0, // Stop moving brightness
  "brightness_step": 40 // Increases brightness by 40
}

But how do I use it? It says in the documentation: "To do this send a payload like below (above in this case) to zigbee2mqtt/FRIENDLY_NAME/set", but I do not know how to do it?

Link to documentation
https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/MS-105Z.html#moving-stepping

Yep, I’ve seen that, and I have tried to push the brightnes_move payload, but can’t make it work. If you have any automation examples of a zigbee2mqtt switch an dimmer, that would be much appreciated.

I do not have examples but can still try to help, sometimes it just takes another pair of eyes. Can you post your attempts?

Hi again,

Thanks for your support r-j-taylor. I do not have an automation at the moment. I’m currently just trying to publish from the MQTT integration tool, and it wont work. When I publish for instance {brightness": 60} it works great, but when I try {brightness_state": 160} nothing happens. See picture below:

Oh, the problem is very different than your original post made it sound, I’m not sure how much help I’ll be.

It looks like the light is on, but just confirming, the light is on when you try to send the command?

Is that message received in response to the command you published?

Hi,

Sorry for the confusment here.

This automation works great:

- alias: test dimmer brightness 2
  trigger:
    - platform: mqtt
      topic: "zigbee2mqtt/btn1/action"
      payload: shake
  action:
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: zigbee2mqtt/dimmer2/set
      payload: '{"brightness": 254}'

So I tried with this, but does not work:

- alias: test dimmer brightness 3
  trigger:
      payload: hold
  action:
    data:
      payload: '{"brightness_move": -40}'

So basically my real question is, how should I use the “brightness_move”?

Yes, I understand that now, and I’m not sure I can answer that question. I don’t have the same hardware and am not able to test the commands myself. All I can do is ensure you are following the documentation. Can you answer my questions:

Is the light on when you make your attempts?

What response do you get?

Does dimming work from other sources?

Yes, the lights are on.

I don’t get any response. Nothing happens.

When I turn the lights on or off they transition, so basically they dim up and down. I am also able to set the brightness to a specific value with this command:
{“brightness”: 40}

I haven’t tried dimming from another device.

Do you get a response when you send a command that does work? Can you try dimming from a different source?

Well, I can dim it from the device interface in Home Assistant, but it only sets a brightness value.

From MQTT explorer I get this after I have moved the slider in the device interface:

Hm, not super helpful since that isn’t using the same payload. Since you aren’t seeing any similar response for step, that makes me lean towards the device not recognizing the command… Can you double check the model number?

Yeh, double checked the model number now, and it is the correct one. But I haven’t done anything special in the configuration for this dimmer. Anything I need to do there? I just added it through the Zigbee2mqtt dashboard. Everything else works on the dimmer, but brightness_move and _step just wont work.

In the zigbee2mqtt log file I can see this error message pop up:
No converter available for ‘brightness_step’ (-100)

Hm, may be reaching the end of my ability to help here; that is saying that it can’t convert the message from MQTT. You may just want to open an issue on GitHub, the developer is super active and helpful for stuff like this.

What version of Zigbee2MQTT are you running ?

Hi Fracis,

I’m running version 1.21.2-1. I can see there is an update available, but my version is not that old.

I upgraded zigbee2mqtt to the latest version now, but still get these in the log:

Here is the automation:

- alias: test dimmer brightness 4
  trigger:
      payload: hold
  action:
    data:
      payload: '{"brightness_step": 100}'

- alias: test dimmer brightness 5
  trigger:
      payload: release
  action:
    data:
      payload: '{"brightness_move": 0}'

I have found a workaround for this issue. The issue is still not solved, since the “brightness_move” command is not recognised.

Anyway here is a link to my workaround. Hope this can help someone else, until this issue is solved.

1 Like