Broadlink RM Mini 3 & air conditioning

Hey,

I added a Broadlink RM Mini 3 to HASS.IO for controlling my aircon (a Viessmann Vitoclima 300-S) and I can’t for the life of me make it both turn on and off with HASS.IO

Using Broadlink Manager, the learnt codes work with no problems, but I can’t replicate the behavior in HASS.IO even though I use the codes from there, I can only turn it ON and never OFF.

Please help!

This is what I have in configuration.yaml:

switch:

- platform: broadlink
    host: 192.168.1.143
    type: rm_mini
    mac: 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
    timeout: 15
    switches:
      aircon_living_room:
        friendly_name: "Living Room AC"
        command_on: 'JgCSAAABJ5MWNhYRFhIWNRYSFhEWEhYSFjUWEhYRFjYWERYSFhIWERYSFhEWEhYRFhIWNRcRFhIWERYSFhEWEhY1FxEWNRcRFhIWNRYSFgACkBcRFhIWERYSFhEWEhYRFxEWERcRFhIWERYSFjUWEhYRFxEWEhYRFhIWERYSFhEXERYRFxEWEhYRFhIWNRY2FjUXAA0FAAAAAAAA'
        command_off: 'JgCSAAABKZIXNRYSFhEWEhYRFxEWEhYRFjYWERYSFjUXERYSFhEWEhYRFhIWERYSFhEXNRYSFhEWEhYRFhIWERc1FhIWNRYSFhEWNhYRFwACkBYSFhEWEhYRFhIWERcRFhIWERYSFhEWEhYRFjYWERcRFhIWERYSFhEWEhYRFxEWEhYRFhIWERYSFhEWNhY1FxEWAA0FAAAAAAAA'

And in scripts.yaml:

living_room_aircon_on:
    alias: Turn On Living Room Aircon
    sequence:
      - alias: Aircon On 
        service: switch.turn_on
        data:
          entity_id: switch.aircon_living_room

living_room_aircon_off:
    alias: Turn Off Living Room Aircon
    sequence:
      - alias: Aircon Off 
        service: switch.turn_off
        data:
          entity_id: switch.aircon_living_room
1 Like

Please format your code properly, like it says at the top of the page.

Sorry about that, I edited the OP.

Excellent, thank you.

Now I am no expert in this component, but if it is turning on, your basic config must be right.

Are you absolutely sure you copy/pasted the “off” code correctly? Those strings are horrendous.

Yeah, I also hear a beep on the aircon when the off code runs, but it does nothing…I think it might be related to how aircons are controlled by “state” commands and not just simple commands like a TV.

The annoying thing is that the Broadlink Manager app (which provided me with both codes) can turn it on and off (and so does the Broadlink Android app), but HA simply won’t budge on the second command. I tried learning the commands multiple times (which resulted in slightly different codes depending on how long I kept the button pressed), but I still get the same result…

I use this custom component.
https://github.com/vpnmaster/homeassistant-custom-components

and this solution was very useful for me

Check your IR code. At the end of line must be = or == as usual.

Well that is true, a classic home control problem - no state feedback from the device. So the remote sends the complete state config every time it sends a command. Whether this is true for off, I don’t know.

Thanks a lot for your help, I will definitely go for the custom climate component at some point for temperature and mode control, but right now I managed to get the thing to work by re-learning the Off command, this time with a very short button press…it’s really weird, since Broadlink Manager was able to turn it off just fine with the code resulted from a longer button press (and on the regular remote I use a long press), but in HA the code from a short button press worked instantly.

I did previously try putting = and == at the end of the code and it didn’t change the situation.

Thanks again!

Hi, were you able to resolve your long press issue? i am having similar issues, i can configure the normal press buttons on the control but to turn on the device i need to press two buttons for 3 secs.

Thanks
Fred

Nope, I left it like that and it has been working fine…the lesson learnt was to not assume that exactly how long you press on the buttons on your regular remote is how long Broadlink also needs to send the correct command.

Hi
thanks for the reply. When you mentioned how long Broadcom sends signal, do you mean repeating command_on/off? Like this?

pellet_power:
friendly_name: “Pellet Power”
command_on: “JgAYANNSazgZHBs3OBsZORsaGzc4GzY5NwANBQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”

thanks
Fred

What I mean is that different lengths of time used for pressing a button on my actual remote resulted in different codes and Broadlink ultimately needed a shorter button press when learning my “Off” command vs. how I usually pressed that button on my remote.

So, experiment with how you press the button until you get a code that works, that’s what did it for me.

Thanks for the info, I understand now the different codes. Time to experiment.

THANKS AGAIN!!!