BRUH Led strip config

Sk6812 would be available as RGBW, but if it was a problem with your strip, a simple replacement then is the way to go :slight_smile:

It’s also possible that the power supply is not handling the load properly.
For the 3.3v vs 5v issue, the number of led should not matter, the first led will redress the signal from 3.3v to 5v.

300LED is already quit a heavy load, which power supply are you using? 18A + the consumption of your control board.
Could you measure the voltage at the end of your strip and middle? It could also be that the voltage drop is too big.

I don’t use a logic shiftier on any of mine, in fact when I tried I introduced problems, but could just be my soldering :slight_smile:

I inject power in the middle and at the end of long strips and if you don’t do that, I suggest you do. Plus check the amount of power your PSU has. for long strips I have 21A

I don’t have logic level shifters also. Also, lile you, I’m injecting power in the middle, and in the end of the strip. Using 20A power supply. My strip is cut in half (160+140 leds) so I have to inject power :slight_smile:

tell you what I found was an issue for me… shite poor connectors both from China and UK. The wires were terribly thin, once I sacked them off I had a lot less problems

1 Like

Hmmm… Probobly the same thing here, only I don’t use connectors, I used header wires.
I have solderd header connectors, and then just use header wires…
Gonna solder wires directly, as I should in the first place… :weary:

When I saw the issue with the flickering I was so excited because I thought that I might be able to offer the solution which I found to be to allow interrupts - but it had already been suggested and used !

I am using the BRUH LED strip setup in my kitchen but I would like to modify it ever so slightly but I do require some help as I am a complete novice in all fields here.

In short, when the lights are “powered on” from HassIO screen (which I think uses light_state_topic I would like to throw a relay to coincide with the light state being on or off respectively.

This is to allow me to control the power to the 5v 30amp PSU which I will use to power the LED strips.

I hope I have explained what I want to achieve ? Can anyone guide me towards achieving it!

I have played with relays using the blink sketch etc, but I need the specific help in getting a relay to mimic another state and where to put that into the code for the LEDs.

What I have hashed about with is this - I may be close or miles out - I just dont know:

client.publish(light_state_topic, buffer, true);
  if (client.publish = true);
  {
    digitalWrite(pin6, high};
    Serial.println("Relay is ON");
  else (client.publish = false);
  {
    digitalWrite(pin6, low);
    Serial.println("Relay is OFF");
}

Thanks,

Quick one, how do I set the animation speed as part of a scene? I’m wanting a slow rainbow for some scenes and a quick one for others. I can set the speed using the input slider, but it will always default to the last value.

Am I right in thinking I need to have the input_number slider as below, but insure how to set the value of the automation speed?

Ive tried changing state to a number between 1-150, using value: 1-150 and step: 1-150 but none of them work. Any ideas? (commenting out in the below example as it wasn’t working so disabled it…)

You might want a script rather than a scene and use an action that set the wish value to the input_number:

action:
  service: input_number.set_value
  data_template:
    entity_id: input_number.led_animation_speed
    value: 30

This should trigger the automation watching input_number.led_animation_speed value change, and send the new value to your lamp.

Sorry to invoke an old thread. I am trying to do this project but the power supply I have is 12v, 4.16 amp? Will it work? The led strip is 5 mtrs. Thanks

That’s to weak for so many led.
How much led per meter do your strip have and what kind of led are they?

I can get it in 30 led/mtr or 60led/mtr. The strip I want to get is ws2812b.

Edit: how do I calculate the power requirements?

60mA per led at full power.

So 0.06A×30led×5m=9A
Or for 60led/m, 0.06×60×5= 18A

So the wattage and voltage doesn’t matter?

Wattage = amps x volts

Eg. 60 LEDs rated at 18watts per meter = 18 / 60 = .3w per led

To get amps - wattage / volts = .3w / 5volts = .06amps per led

So a 60led/m strip = 60 x 5v x .06a = 18w per meter

Eg . A 5m 60led/m 5 volt led strip rated 18w per meter needs a 90w or 18amp power supply

Always match the power supply voltage and wattage to the led strip

Check the spec sheets

LED quantity: 60LEDs/m, 5m 300 LEDs in total
IC Model: Built-in WS2812B IC, one IC controls one LEDs
Working Voltage: 5V DC
Max Working Current: 18A
Power: 18W/M, 90W/Roll

1 Like

Thank you so much

Hello INTEL. I’m copying your setup to a tee, so first I’d like to say thank you and thank you to those that helped you get here!

I’m using a NodeMCU to control the LEDs, and everything seems to work perfectly, except one thing… When I have animations playing, the lights turn themselves off after maybe an hour or so. sometimes less, like a half hour depending on the animation. I can go back into HA and turn it right back on, but there seems to be some kind of timeout, or maybe the NodeMCU resets? Are you experiencing similar issues?

Glad I could help, @touliloup did all the hard lifting here :wink:
I’m sorry, but I never tryed to play animations for 1hour… Meybe CandyCane, but didn’t notice any resets.
I did notice I have to ‘‘hard reset’’ strip and nodemcu every now and then (unplug from power for few minutes twice a month)

I have mine on a WeMo for just that reason, just in case. There were a couple animations that seemed to stall out if I left them on too long, I was unable to switch away, so I had to power cycle everything. Overall I’m very pleased with the results, just curious if I maybe missed something, or if other people were having the same behavior.

Another question that I have: something I was always unsure of, but I think I need it spelled out for me. I really want to use animation speed slider for some of these animations. I put the input_number thingy in the yaml, but I’m starting to think it won’t work without setting up an automation… Is that the only way?

Hello, planning ahead the installation I have to do in a few months, I bought most of the things to follow Bruh´s guide. The only thing that defers is the LED strip. I got about 20m already of the GS8208 which has 4 pins.
I tried to search for how to make it work with a 4 pin addressable led strip but what I found is still not clear or outdated.

The strip has 4 PINS GND, DI1, DI2 and 12V (just as the link bellow).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12V-input-addressabl-RGB-LED-pixel-strip-GS8208-chip-similar-to-WS2811-WS2813-60leds-m-5m/32842645242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dlGK0ww

I intend to use it though Im not sure how to adjust Bruhs code and wire it to make it work. Can someone help me out please?

All the best,