Button button is there an RF button?

I am looking for a small stylish RF button (press it and it sends an RF code). About the size of bottle cap / $1 coin / 50p coin / dash button without the sticker part

I want to stick them on a lamp and a desk, but when i search for RF button my Google-fu fails i only get remotes and light switches.

1 Like

Not at small as you’d like… but something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/433MHz-2-Button-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Transmitter-Garage-Door-DC12V/302947561209?hash=item468914eef9:m:mLvm3cDEo3hiEzzLOJjyEiQ:rk:38:pf:0

1 Like

That looks great thank you out of curiosity what did you search for to find it?

Edit: here’s a black one from suggested

“RF Button” or “433 Button” Personally, I use these Kerui F52 Buttons which talks to a sonoff RF flashed with tasmota. They’re about 5cm x 5cm and illuminate when activated, and have a capacitive button.

Currently attached to the kettle which activates a 2 minute timer though Alexa to remind me to take my tea bag out…

Would you mind elaborating on that: “talks to a sonoff RF flashed with tasmota”.
Thanks!

I can expand, the Sonoff RF bridge listens for 433mhtz signals then translates them to MQTT signals (which HA can listen for)

it can also send RF signals but that part isn’t as good, most people go for the broadlink RM Pro to send RF signals

Edit: it can’t do any of that without Tasmota firmware
I didn’t fancy soldiering so I bought pre flashed one from ebay

1 Like

Perhaps you can help me. Can the Sonoff RF bridge, flashed with Tasmota software, receive data from Acurite and Oregon Scientific temperature sensors? These are common 433 MHz sensors (often included with inexpensive ‘home weather station’ kits).

I’ve been considering using rtl_433 software with a Software-Defined Radio (SDR) dongle. One advantage of using an SDR is that it can handle multiple frequencies (for example, rtl_433 with an SDR supports devices operating on 433 MHz and 915 MHz frequencies). I can’t decide whether to choose this solution or the Sonoff RF Bridge.

I use little RF buttons from Ali Express. Details on my blog.

I have a SRD using rtl_433.
I went this route to prevent extra WiFi congestion (although it probably doens’t matter).
You do have to remember that you cannot listen to multiple frequencies simultaneously.
It does have the ability to hop back and fourth, but that means you could miss a signal.

Yes, the SRD should be able to receive any 433 signal that is listed in the github list.
Specifically:

Option -R:
Supported device protocols:
[10]* Acurite 896 Rain Gauge
[11]  Acurite 609TXC Temperature and Humidity Sensor
[12]  Oregon Scientific Weather Sensor
[40]  Acurite 592TXR Temp/Humidity, 5n1 Weather Station, 6045 Lightning
[41]  Acurite 986 Refrigerator / Freezer Thermometer
[55]  Acurite 606TX Temperature Sensor
[74]  Acurite 00275rm,00276rm Temp/Humidity with optional probe

Rotating signals (whatever they are called) from garage doors are one that I know cannot be received, but weather stations are fine.

Another thing to consider is location.
The Sonoff can be put anywhere it can receive both 433 and Wifi signal.
The SDR is a USB to a Pi or PC (mine is connected directly to my server).
So that is another thing to consider - if your server is not near sensors, the Sonoff might be a better choice.
Last “consideration” if WiFi goes down, Sonoff will stop communicating with Home Assistant while the SDR if plugged in to the server will still update sensors.

1 Like

So a mix of 433 and 900 MHz devices means it could receive on both frequencies but not concurrently. It flips between the two and while listening on one frequency will be deaf to transmissions on the other frequency. OK, good to know.

It’s been my experience that 433Mhz signals have great range (30 meters in real-world conditions) so I don’t anticipate an attenuation problem but I’ll keep it in mind.

Yes, this is one of the reasons I lean towards using an SDR, less links in the chain connecting the receiver to the host. Plus, it requires no construction/modification or flashing of new firmware. The PR to add native support for MQTT is the icing on the cake.

I am actually using this right now from zuckschwerdt’s repo.
The guy is very responsive to questions and is going a ton of work.
I have rtl_433 running in a docker container and publishing to a MQTT container on the same server.
Seems to be working well, but only been up for a few days.
I have rogue sensors from neighbors in my logs, but those are easily filtered out.

That’s encouraging because I’ve vowed that the next iteration of my Home Assistant production server will be docker-based (it’s current installed as a virtual environment). My Home Assistant test server is using docker-compose and maintenance is so much easier.

Seems like range isn’t a problem. :wink:

Very true - but for a while the neighbors sensor was broadcasting every second (malfunctioning I think). It appeared my sensors signal was being missed due to the noise.

Docker is awesome!
This is my first time using it, but it has been very easy, and seems to simplify things greatly! I would highly suggest Portainer! It is a Docker Management container that gives a GUI so you don’t have to do everything in command line. I love it!

You can add/remove/update images, containers, networks, everything! When a new HA version is released, I just go to Portainer, clicker “Recreate” and flip the toggle to pull the newest image. A few minutes later the new image is downloaded, and the container is recreated based on the new image (using the old container properties) - cannot be easier!

On a fresh Ubuntu Server install, I followed the Docker installation instructions to install Docker CE. After that I have installed almost NOTHING on the server directly (except updates). Everything is in docker.

My current list of containers:

Portainer
Home Assistant
PostgresSQL
Mosquitto MQTT broker
rtl_433
Tensorflow

I think I have derailed this topic a bit… so I’ll stop there :slight_smile:

I share your enthusiasm for Portainer (I use it as well).