Buying a device to run Home Assistant (April 2022 edition)

Can you summarize what that 18-minute YouTube video recommended for a direct RPi replacement?

Skipping through, I saw a comparison with a Lenovo M75n Nano, which I found listed on Newegg for almost $500, so not really a good replacement.

2 Likes

try ebay vendors Lenovo ThinkCentre M72e – about $50 USD

I got my SFF PC for free from the ICT department on my job, they had a lot of them replaced for newer… I can’t make it cheaper :wink:

1 Like

As stated, most of those videos afe talking about using older, used thin client PCs.

If you a want new Intel based unit it will be more than $50. In fairness, so was a full Pi setup by the time you added case, power supply, storage etc.

Pretty much any low price Intel Celeron mini PC is more than sufficient, pretty commonly available new for under $150, with countless options under $200. A quick Amazon search renders plenty of matches.

I’d avoid the units with eMMC storage, they may be fine, but can sometimes be tricky to get an alternate image installed and running.

Most (not guaranteed) units with an SSD should boot the haos image. Just make sure you have return options. Power consumption for those units should also be pretty good at around 10w or less.

1 Like

odriod N2+, 4G RAM, 32G emmc, 3A power supply and case comes in at $139 from ameridroid. You also need to little sd adaptor to write the emmc so that’s a couple more $. You can get it cheaper if you buy directly from hard kernel, just takes longer to show up.

No. I’m a sadist.

I use the Linux kernel. This is what I based it on.

1 Like

This only works if you buy used. Still worth it compared to pi.

After a few months using a RPI4 I decided to upgrade as I wanted something more powerful. I went with a couple secondhand Lenovo Tiny PC M920q

I have both running Proxmox with a few VMs each. One has an i7-8700 with 16GB RAM and the other has a i7-9700 with 32GB of RAM. Both have 1TB SSD. One has an additional SSD and the other has a dual port 10GBe FO NIC. They do run different things but the goal is to have HA on both with one being ready to takeover in case of a catastrophic failure of the other.

I often wonder what CPU characteristics matter for webRTC as it is the most intensive process on my HA OS based instance (in Proxmox VM). Open to any suggestions!

1 Like

What is the power draw? Can I ask what you paid for them?

@JeeCee I can’t recall exactly, plus it likely varies with load, but I believe it was around 50 or 60W per system. The power supply powering each ones maxes out at 135W. These PCs have the K version of the i7 which is limited so they use less than a regular PC but also have lower performance.

Edit: I got them on ebay and I believe they were between $500 and $600 US each.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, was hoping for a zero less, at least with the power usage🤔

1 Like

There are plenty intel based PC’s drawing a lot less, you can easily get under 10W. Read my response above.

1 Like

True, I was not going for low power but performance. In the big scheme of things 50W is very little when my yearly usage is around 24MWh :frowning:

That is not a yearly usage, it is a rate of consumption, I think you mean MWh

1 Like

if it is MWh, then its 6 times my usage… wonder what plants he grows :slight_smile:

And/or where you live :wink:

ran into other type of device:

lots of options

Or even the Libre Computer Board AML-S905X-CC “Le Potato”?
https://www.amazon.com/Libre-Computer-AML-S905X-CC-Potato-64-bit/dp/B074P6BNGZ/

lol, just air conditioning to survive in Texas

2 Likes

You might want to consider these:

US $187.74 37%OFF | JK01 Intel N5095 Windows 11Pro Mini PC 16GB DDR4 512GB Wifi Bluetooth HD-MI VGA Desktop LAN Compatible Three Screen Gaming PC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNk347c

US $103.06 22%OFF | T6 Pro MINI PC Stick Windows 10 Intel Celeron J4125 N4000 Quad Core DDR4 6GB 128GB 4K HD Wifi Micro Gaming Computer New Minipc
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrUCpFu