C by GE light local control via BTLE

I didn’t notice in top any high CPU usage so I didn’t think I needed the patch. I can get this applied in my Ubuntu instance to see if that helps, but how would I go about applying this in a Home Assistant OS install? I think I figured out how to do it in Home Assistant OS

In Home Assistant OS I used the ‘Custom deps deployment addon’ and installed bluepy, dimond, and laurel from pypi and applied the patch to bluepy.

When I get home I will restart the RPi to see if it had any effect on control

even with the patched bluepy-helper.c file located in /config/deps/lib/python3.8/site-packages/bluepy the result is still the same. Should I be applying patch some other way?
Are you succsessful on 32-bit or 64-bit? A 32-bit OS is the only thing I haven’t tried yet.

I am using 64 bit OS. You did compile and replace the binary bluepy-helper instead of only replacing “bluepy-helper.c”, right?

I guess I didn’t. I used git apply to modify the .c file but haven’t compiled. Makes sense, this just is new to me.
Is all I need to do is run make within the directory?
I did that and my bluepy-helper was modified, but I’ve never had to compile code so not sure if I’m missing some steps.

Presumably Yes if everything is working as expected. You need the glib2 dependence, however.

It compiled fine (seemingly), and my bluepy-helper had a new created-on date, but there is no change to the consistency of the control. Individual control still spot on but group control is unusable.

Here is a video example of what is happening. You can hear the clicks, that is me toggling the group of 3 on/off and you can see the response of the bulbs.

I’m guessing this won’t work on hassio? Installed your integration in HACS but it’s not finding the platform gelight

@dandelion

1m

You’ll need the add-on “custom deps deployment”, and some or all of this, in its config:

pypi:
  - bluepy
  - dimond==0.2
  - >-
    https://wheels.home-assistant.io/alpine-3.14/i386/PyBluez-0.22-cp39-none-any.whl
    bluepy==1.3.0
apk:
  - glib
  - glib-dev

Then you can install config/custom_components/gelight/light.py

@qian

It seems if there’s a C-reach hub already installed, control using gelights is not possible? I removed one of my bulbs from my existing mesh, added it back in the Cync app set up in different “house” and now I’m able to control just that one bulb. The others still fail.

I’m ready to reset each bulb if needed, and I’ll just do away with the c-reach, unless there’s something I’m missing here(?)

1.I do not own a C-reach hub.

2.My guess is that it serve the same purpose as the app/program.
The mesh network only allow one controller at a time.
You can connect to the mesh using either the app or the program or the C-reach hub.
(If you use the c-reach hub, I guess it is possible that the ios app could talk to the hub directly without connecting to the Bluetooth mesh network).

1. If you want to keep the C-reach hub, you could try to find if somebody already figured out how to talk to the hub directly.

2. Resetting the GE bulb is crazily completed. Takes more than 30 seconds to finish a strange cycle.

3. I don’t know what happens if you drop the hub from the ios app. Could you still control the bulbs in the ios app. If that is the case, after you close the ios app and wait for about 5 minutes, you can try to control using the program here.

LOL. Yes, that reset procedure is crazy. I have about 30 bulbs and for various reasons, I’ve had to reset them all on many occasions, like when the APP just stopped working once after an upgrade, and then more recently, when I moved into a new home and wanted to repurpose each bulb starting fresh.

I’ve used other home automation devices (Shelly switches or plugs) to automate the on-OFF-on-OFF sequence needed, when I had to do a whole lot of resets! I might employ that method again. If I had enough lamp sockets I’d put them all on a power strip!

Thanks for the speedy response about the C-Reach. I’ve experimented with trying to treat the c-reach like another node in the mesh, but the connection always fails, like the username/password doesn’t work. I’ve also tried disconnecting the C-Reach temporarily, but I get a similar failure when trying to contact any bulb previously associated with the C-Reach.

The key is “the mesh network only allow one controller at a time.” I was picturing a mesh being a peer-to-peer sort of arrangement, but maybe I should think more like master/slave with repeaters. Makes sense thinking about standard bluetooth and “pairing” with just one device.

Thanks for making gelights available. I’m hoping I can chunk my C-Reach and the cloud-dependence it required, and have a more reliable connection using your work. Would love to see it included as a standard HA module some day.

You reminded me that when I did the reset, I actually installed the bulb to a desk lamp and then hook to a smart switch. Then I fired a precisely timed sequence in shell script according to the on-off instruction from youtube.

1 Like

You guys are fancy. I just have all of the various switches they’re hooked up to in a light group and do them manually but all at once

For anyone looking to move off of the C-Reach hub and onto using gelights, at least for the first bulb I tried, deleting it from the Cync app did successfully factory reset it, without having to go through the overly long, dreaded on/off sequences!

Along the same lines, I’ve just started using C by GE switches and picked up a C-Reach hub. The hub is seen by Hassio and is setup as a HomeKit controller, but the switch isn’t shown and I’'ve not found any way to access it.

Does anyone know how to add the C by GE switches into Home Assistant?

The light switches seem to work over BTLE. They are configured and paired to the bulbs by the app, but they don’t directly connect to the servers over WiFi. I’ve been wondering if there is a way to simulate whatever those switches are doing with hass, even if that means using the GE Cync app to pair the integration with the specific bulbs.

Anyone know if there is a better way to get these bluetooth GE bulbs directly connected to HA now that HA has upgraded it’s bluetooth support? I have a bunch of these connected to my google home devices but I’d really love to control them by HA instead.