Calendar based triggers

You’re saying that after you removed the Template Condition from the automation (like I had suggested), it still failed to trigger?

yes! Nothing triggered.

I was wondering if “work” was a reserved word or something.

If the following automation fails to trigger then the problem isn’t the automation but in the Caldav integration (or the testing procedure).

alias: Work day
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: calendar
    event: start
    offset: "0:0:0"
    entity_id: calendar.rhs_sy22_23
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.persistent_notification
    data:
mode: single

Okay, I’ve added and will let you know tomorrow since this only triggers once.

Found this in the CalDAV documentation. Maybe why it’s not firing.

This example will generate default binary sensors for each calendar you have in your account. Those calendars will be on when there is an ongoing event and off if not. Events that last a whole day are ignored in those calendars. You have to setup custom calendars in order to take them into account or for advanced event filtering.”

Here is my new config.yml entry. This brings everything in now (as it was before) but I still don’t think it’s triggering.

#Apple calendar
calendar:

• platform: caldav
    url: https://caldav.icloud.com
    username: !secret apple_user
    password: !secret apple_specific
    custom_calendars:
    • name: Family
      calendar: “Family”
      search: “”
    • name: RHS
      calendar: “RHS SY22-23”
      search: “.*”

Automations:
alias: Work day1
description: “”
trigger:

• platform: calendar
    event: start
    offset: “0:0:0”
    entity_id: calendar.rhs_sy22_23_rhs
    condition: []
    action:
  • service: notify.persistent_notification
    data:
    mode: single

It looks like all-day events for CalDAV calendars don’t behave the same way as for local or Google calendars.

Yes, I see that as well. I’m gonna give it a few more tries, then convert to a local calendar I think.

Well again, none of the automations triggered so I guess I’m going to have to add a local calendar or Google Calendar.

Do you know if there is a way to import into a local calendar?

I’m unaware of an import function. Local calendar events are created via the UI or, in the future, via a service call.

Okay thanks. Guess I’ll try a Google calendar in the meantime then.

I finally got back around to to this, created a local calendar and “imported” the data I needed. Your solution on the template worked beautifully. Thanks for your help again.

1 Like