Calendar Notifications & Actions - Cannot get End Actions to work

Hi , hope everyone is well.

Could I ask for some help please with the Calendar Notifications & Actions automation blueprint. ( Excellent by the way )

I am using this to turn on a toggle helper when there is a relevant event in the calendar and turn it off after the event.

I have it working to turn on the helper but I cannot get it to turn it off after.

I have various settings and after it set to 1hr after , however because its a calendar event is very time consuming to test each time.

Can anyone advice please ? I can list my various settings if that helps

Many thanks in advance

Regards Andy

post your automation that you’ve got so far to turn on & off. be sure to format it properly with the “preformatted text” button.

alias: Garden Wate Collection Notification
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: Blackshome/calendar-notifications-and-actions.yaml
  input:
    calendar: calendar.andys_calendar
    calendar_trigger: "@garden"
    include_start_notify: enable_start_notify_options
    start_notify_device:
      - bcfb1b0f749a52f701c748350d733d37
    start_calendar_offset:
      hours: -8
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
      days: 0
    end_calendar_offset:
      hours: -9
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
      days: 0
    include_start_auto_actions:
      - enable_start_action_1
    start_action_1:
      - service: input_boolean.turn_on
        metadata: {}
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: input_boolean.calendar
    include_end_action_buttons: []
    include_end_auto_actions:
      - enable_end_action_1
    end_action_1:
      - service: input_boolean.turn_off
        metadata: {}
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: input_boolean.calendar
    include_end_notify: enable_end_notify_options

HI , this is what I have. I thought I had the end time wrong at 1 hr so I changed it to -9 so in effect 1 hr after event started but that also didn’t work.

The event was set to start at 4.15am on the 15th and to end on the 15th at 5:15am I set this in the calendar on 14th at approx. 19:50 so to take into account the 15mins min before .

I also set -8 hours meaning it would trigger at 20:15 on the 14th ( 8 hours before ) and I hoped that the -9 would mean it would run the end event at 21:15 on the 14th , but it didnt .

Confused now as to why it didnt work, what am i doing wrong …

Thanks Andy

i don’t see something by inspection of your code, but certainly could be overlooking something.

i’d recommend 2 things.

1. ask the author in this thread. he seems to be quite active and very helpful:
    📆 Calendar Notifications & Actions - #144 by Blacky

2. trace it.
    if no one else can see an error by just looking at the code, what i’d do next is walk through the trace for when it was supposed to trigger. have you looked at automation traces before? i’d find the time when it was supposed to trigger the end notification and follow what it did step by step.

Hi , thanks for looking.

I tried traces but it was difficult to follow, however it did show there was no action at all at the time of the end event as I expected.

Not sure where to go next thou

@AndyN

I can help. It can be a bit tricky using offsets but I will try to explain.

You said your calendar event runs from 4:15am to 5:15am on the same day.

The Start = 4:15am
The End = 5:15am

To make it easy lets say we would like it to ON one hour before and turn OFF one hour after. Your offsets work from your calendar entry start and end times.

Start = 4:15am. If we make our ‘Calendar Start - Offset’ -1 then it will be 4:15 - 1 = 3:15am to turn ON.
End = 5:15am. If we make our ‘Calendar End - Offset’ 1 then it will be 5:15 + 1 = 6:15am to turn OFF.

Another end example;
End = 5:15am. If we make our ‘Calendar End - Offset’ -1 then it will be 5:15 - 1 = 4:15am to turn OFF.

So you need to look at your start and end of you actual calendar event to work your offsets. If your offset was 0 then it would turn ON at 4:15am and turn OFF at 5:15am

Hope this helps you.

Blacky :smiley:

Thank you that’s one of the most helpful replies I have had on the forum , as you have taken the time to explain it … thank you so much as this really helped and now to works… Happy Days

1 Like