Camera with face recognition to open house door

You can get finger print scanners on ebay aliexpress for a few bucks. There’s a kid on instructables that shows the set up he made. You would just have to scale it for your system

This is a 2 year late reply but this is what currently I am doing at home. I have a Tapo C200 camera located outside of my flat, hanged to the ceiling. I am using frigate, deepstack and doubletake to take actions from the picture which received from the camera. It recognises my face perfectly and unlocks my house main door.

You might ask about security problems. Yes they exist. The camera can easily be tricked with a photo of mine. But as a precaution I have connected the automation into an input boolean and that boolean only becomes active when I arrive home. And as a second precaution I have also delayed the re activating the automation for 1 more minute after I arrive. This is just for me to have enought time to get upstairs from the garage. And just right after I enter my house with facial recognition, if any of the motion sensors inside my house detects my presence it shuts down the automation again.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing that, I would like to know if your setup relies on specific additional hardware or if it can run together with HA on a Rpi 3 b+ for example.

Edit: I see the need of the presence of a TPU (Coral) and I see it is available as a USB device, I am interested to understand the hardware architecture you setup, I just have to manage one camera, not interested in do recognition on all camera I have.

I only use the system for 1 single camera. For frigate my raspberry 4 keeps just fine. But for face recogniton you do have to install deepstack and double take. Deepstack can not be used with rasp but you can use a spare laptop with a docker desktop. That’s the way I am using it right now. Everything works perfectly and the cpu temp is only at 50.

I don’t have any idea about rasp 3 but I guess it wont be sufficient due to the hardware.

Okay. I saw that Frigate has a suggested hw of a Coral TPU. I have a spare laptop and it can be useful to set up the system and understand if everything works, but then if it is possible to use a 60$ board that consumes less than a laptop, I’ll evaluate it.
BTW, thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like