Can HASS support Zigbee (for SmartThings presence sensor)?

I tried searching for this info but couldn’t find anything. I am wondering if I will be able to eventually shut down my Smart Things Hub. I just started my HASS setup with the intention of moving my ST devices over. But I don’t know if I can ever move my Zigbee devices. I only have three, two presence sensors and a zigbee plug switch which I installed just to repeat the signal from my presence sensors to my ST hub.

Can HASS support Zigbee or will I always be stuck with the ST hub for this component of my home automation ?

HA does have a Zigbee component

Here’s a thread that may help:

1 Like

Why not just use the SmartThings hub as just a hub. It has all the radios you need and then you can integrate it directly into HASS with the smartthings mqtt bridge (this is what I do).

All my smarts happen in HASS but ST connects to all the devices.

1 Like

I agree, but he said he wanted to decommission the ST hub.

I’m doing the same thing with my Wink hub and move those things that are either now natively supported in HA or are in the process of it. Moved ecobee off a few weeks ago and will be moving Ring off when testing is done on the new component.

I agree where natively supported (I’m doing the same where possible) but when it comes to zwave/zigbee/etc and needing additional hardware/radios, it makes sense to me to keep the ST hub for those. Then you don’t have to mess around with Zwave config, setup, etc on the HASS machine. That’s my 2 cents…

1 Like

Just in case it wasn’t obvious, I am agreeing with you. :wink:

I use the Wink hub the same exact way and have some of my Zwave stuff that is hard to get working, like my Schlage lock, still on the Wink and other ZWave stuff that Wink doesn’t support like sensors going through the ZWave stick.

For me, it’s just more flexibility and there’s no sense in moving off something that works and I already paid for.

1 Like

I agree with you guys as well. I already have a zwave stick so I plan to move my zwave devices over a few at a time as I determine if they are supported. For example I am on the fence regarding my GD00Z garage door opener because the thread regarding this device seems to indicate there are issues.

However, my ultimate goal is to replace smart things with something completely under my control. SmartThings fails too often due to new bugs pushed with updates and this has always frustrated me. It seems to be getting better but just in case I want to move away from ST if possible.

But as you suggest, the ST hub will likely remain for a while with HASS taking over the smarts.

I am still working on getting MQTT working so for now my HASS isn’t doing much :slight_smile:

1 Like

anyone figure out how to get the smartthings arrival sensors working on HA?

I set up and configured zha/zigbee - as the sensor is zigbee

however cant find much good documentation on how to pair zigbee devices with HA (other than just permit.zha)

I’ve gotten the Arrival Sensors to “pair” but they don’t show in HA. They show in the zigbee.db database though. I don’t believe that bellows/HA is up to date for devices like this since they aren’t constantly connected. That is just a guess though. I’m not sure how to “force” HA to pick it up from the database.

1 Like

Nice, i havent yet got them to show in the db, however i was reading on a thread or two that extra items can be set in zha: [can you share the database info on the arrival sensor?]

and here:

zha:
  device_config:
      "00:22:a3:00:00:16:b4:27-1":
          type: light

found this from the zigbee success thread… i’m assuming we just need to find out the right info into the database (so if you can share yours that would help - as i dont even have it in the DB yet).
then add the info under zha

SmartThings Contact Switch
Device:
NWK: 0xce38
IEEE: 00:0d:6f:00:05:76:89:fd
Endpoints:
1: profile=0x104, device_type=DeviceType.IAS_ZONE
Input Clusters:
Basic (0)
Power Configuration (1)
Identify (3)
Poll Control (32)
Temperature Measurement (1026)
IAS Zone (1280)
Diagnostic (2821)
Manufacturer Specific (64514)
Output Clusters:
Ota (25)
2: profile=0xc2df, device_type=12
Input Clusters:
Basic (0)
Power Configuration (1)
Identify (3)
Diagnostic (2821)
Manufacturer Specific (64527)
Output Clusters:
Identify (3)

not paired, but it sis detecting the button press. REALLY dont understand this yet…

2018-02-14 17:06:52 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=0 command=257 args=b’’
2018-02-14 17:06:52 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.device] [0x231e] Message on unknown endpoint 2
2018-02-14 17:07:03 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=1 command=32773 args=[0, 8990, [1, 2]]
2018-02-14 17:07:09 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=1 command=32773 args=[0, 8990, [1, 2]]
2018-02-14 17:07:12 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=2 command=32772 args=[0, 8990, ]
2018-02-14 17:07:12 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=1 command=257 args=b’’
2018-02-14 17:07:12 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.endpoint] [0x231e:2] Message on unknown cluster 0xfc05
2018-02-14 17:07:17 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=3 command=32772 args=[0, 8990, ]
2018-02-14 17:07:18 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=4 command=1 args=[[<ReadAttributeRecord attrid=4 status=0 value=b’SmartThings’>, <ReadAttributeRecord attrid=5 status=0 value=b’PGC410’>]]
2018-02-14 17:07:27 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=4 command=1 args=[[<ReadAttributeRecord attrid=4 status=0 value=b’SmartThings’>, <ReadAttributeRecord attrid=5 status=0 value=b’PGC410’>]]
2018-02-14 17:07:27 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=4 command=1 args=[[<ReadAttributeRecord attrid=4 status=0 value=b’SmartThings’>, <ReadAttributeRecord attrid=5 status=0 value=b’PGC410’>]]
2018-02-14 17:07:28 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] Unknown ZDO cluster 0x8038
2018-02-14 17:07:28 WARNING (MainThread) [bellows.zigbee.application] Unexpected response TSN=0 command=32824 args=b’\x00\x00\xf8\xff\x07\x15\x00\x10\x00\x10\xbd\xb5\xab\xb5\xc8\xb8\xb3\xcb\xb6\xb2\xbc\xa3\xb5\xb3\xbb\xce’
2018-02-14 17:07:28 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.application] Message on unknown device 0x0000

Running Bellows Devices command, I believe this might be it:

Device:
  NWK: 0xf772
  IEEE: 24:fd:5b:00:01:02:8b:10
  Endpoints:
    1: profile=0x104, device_type=DeviceType.SIMPLE_SENSOR
      Input Clusters:
        Basic (0)
        Power Configuration (1)
        Identify (3)
        Binary Input (Basic) (15)
        Poll Control (32)
      Output Clusters:
        Identify (3)
        Ota (25)

Not 100% though. I’ll see if I can add it to the “attributes” area of the database later and see if it will pull it in then. Probably need to reset and reconnect it first. I’ll let you know though.

1 Like

sweet - should be able to add that to the db
any idea what is unique about YOUR device vs mine? is the IEEE a mac address (or device identifier)
so say the NWK changes between our devices?

Do you not see yours when running the Bellows Devices command? I do see a little bit of it in the “attributes” section but not as much as other devices nor what I see in the the other sections. I’ll need to read up more about how to actually read it.
When I reset my Arrival Sensor, I do the 6 second hold until the LED goes out, start the ZHA Permit, hold 6 seconds again until LED goes out and then spam the button everytime the LED goes out.

One thing I’ve noticed a little when trying to pair ZigBee to HA is that sometimes I need to disconnect my ST Hub for them to get picked up properly. Might give that a try?

I haven’t really looked at bellows yet, I was just looking at the db which was empty - but will give it a try later :smiley:
So checked the db now and I have some content. Not entirely sure how it should be laid out. However
in HA i’m getting
[0x231e:2] Message on unknown cluster 0xfc05
(which i imagine is the button being pressed, and HA not having the cluster registered in the db)

OK. Did a lot of digging. The only thing I can see Zigpy/Bellows/HA using is “Binary Input (Basic) (15)”. I’ve added 0x000f to the companents/binary_sensor/zha.py but I don’t know if it’s just not pulling or it’s wrong.

I’m really curious what other’s Bellow/Database readout for their Arrival Sensors look like.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/JN-UG-3103.pdf and https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/JN-UG-3076.pdf is where I’m getting a lot of info on ZigBee Cluster.