Can I place SkyConnect close to Bluetooth-Dongle?

Hi everyone
I just got my new SkyConnect and connected it with my Zigbee-Devices.
I connected my SkyConnect with the included USB-extension (40cm) since it didn’t work properly when I plugged it directly into my HA (interference, I know, just wanted to try).
I also use a bluetooth-dongle (for my switchbot-devices), which is plugged directly, but doesn’t work super reliable that way… so I want to buy a extension-cable for the bluetooth-dongle too.

My question ist: can I place both dongles with their extensions next to each other? Or will they cause interference? It’s a decoration question, I’d like to form something like a “butterfly” with the dongles, but I’m worried that they don’t like to be close neighbours…

Maetzi

I have a small (deck of playing card sized) 4-port powered USB2 hub that all 3 of my dongles (ZWave, Zigbee, Bluetooth) plug into - the hub plugs into my HA box. Works fine.

The biggest issue is get them away from the box.and away from usb3/USB3HDDs and ssds

1 Like

Zigbee, Thread, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) all uses similar low-energy radio technology on the same frequency range so they might interfere with each other, as they are all extremely sensitive to EMF/EMI/RMI interference and have very short range and poor penetration, so personally I would not risk it. If it works it works but if you run into problems then before you troubleshoot any deeper you really need to start taking active actions to follow the best practices, read and try to follow all the tips here → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage (where many of the tips there really apply to Zigbee, Thread, and Bluetooth Low Energy since all are use similar low-energy radio technology on the same frequency range).

+1 on using a powered USB 2.0 hub (not USB 3.x or USB 3.x), and another tip is to use a USB RJ45 Extender kit to convert a shielded Cat6 Ethernet cable or better, into a very long USB extension cable, see example https://www.amazon.com/Cat6,SNLLMZI-Extender-Extension-Connector-Adapter/dp/B08FMLGNQN/

Recommend connecting the powered USB 2.0 hub via a such long extension cable.

1 Like

Dangit @hedda you always cost me more money. Now I need that cable! :rofl:

…you can find even less costly variants on Amazon so at least it is not expensive :wink:

Just be sure to use with a good quality shielded Cat6 (or better) Ethernet cable.

Truth. But I’m about to move my rig, and I would really like to keep the puck where it is now, it’s working well - so your timing is impeccable.

And cable - well - which box should I pull out of my garage - I have boxes of CAT5,6,7 and even 6 plenum rated :slight_smile: I’ll use the 6 standard - I like the orange jacket.

Personally I recommend relocating the Zigbee Coordinator adapter as much in the middle of the house as possible and then adding three or more “known good” dedicated Zigbee Router devices between it and your devices so that most connect via a “known good” dedicated Zigbee Router, such as example the IKEA Trådfri Signal Repeater (or better yet Sonoff ZBDongle-E and/or Sonoff ZBDongle-P dongles flashed with Zigbee Router firmware and power by USB-changer).

Amazon also have an inexpensive powered USB 2.0 hub (with its own external power supply that you should place not so close to the Zigbee Coordinator and BLE radios) and in combination with a USB RJ45 Extender kit to convert a shielded Cat6 Ethernet cable you should be able to relocate your radio adapters almost anywhere in your home → https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/

1 Like

This is KEY. (And why I don’t want to move my coordinators from where they are. My wife wants the HA box out of the living room but the coordinator needs to stay. >:))

BTW @Maetzi87 when hedda speaks Zigbee we ALL listen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course I listen! :innocent:
Thank you for all the tips! I will consider all of your suggestions, though I’m not really happy with long cables all around my room… but hub with cat6-cable sounds good, I will try that.
And I planned buying more zigbee repeaters anyway, thank you for listing a few “good ones”. I did not even know that tradfri is Zigbee-based :smiling_face:

Another question: does anyone know a nightlight with motion detection, that also works as zigbee repeater? I have a motion controlled nightlight in the middle of my house, the place really screams for a zigbee-repeater, but theres no free socket left… of course i could use a zigbee socket behind the nightlight, but that would be a optical desaster :sweat_smile: