Can we revisit the move to qt-openzwave?

Home Center Lite yes. :wink:

I would advise not to use this box for 125 devices however. It works perfect for me so far, but I think I’ve read somewhere that it is designed to handle like 25 or 30 devices, not much more.

1 Like

@Balloob @Frenck & @Fishwaldo y’all are awesome and my HA + OpenZWave works amazingly. It brings me joy every single day. Thank you for all the work that you do.

I have exactly 2 Z-Wave devices (2 Inovelli NZW31 Dimmers paired to a Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5).

With the native ZWave integration things work fine and lights turn on reasonably fast (100-750ms from being told to do so). Not as fast as any of my WiFi devices, but “fast enough”.

With the OpenZWave addon & integration, the same 2 lights take between 1-10 seconds to turn on after being commanded to (typically 2-3s). The delay is seemingly random, but sometimes it’s long enough for me to walk across the room and manually turn them on.

What’s the root cause? I have no idea. I never unpaired them from my Aeotec stick. Just moved integrations. HA is running as HAOS in a VM of a very powerful server, so it’s not a resource issue. There’s no logs that indicate any sort of problem either.

It’s just one of those things that, for me, is impossible to define a root cause of the issue; All I know is it’s unacceptably slow and the built-in integration works much better.

1 Like

It may work “much better”, but even that built-in performance is slower than I think is normal. Whatever the root cause is, I suspect it is affecting both integrations.

I have to say that I am not seeing any delays in my QT OpenZwave network of 30 devices. Turning lights on and off has no perceptible delay at all here.

1 Like

Is it difficult to trial the new integration and go back again if it’s no good?

did see a topic about that… never got to it really, but might when i have some time

I have the same hardware and no issues. How did you integrate the addon? Are you using an MQTT broker as an in between?

That might be the root cause, OZW holds configurations, if you didn’t refresh the nodes when inside the new container, it doesn’t store device specific info about the devices.

Did you ever ask this question on the zwave channel in discord or on the forums?

EDIT: For what it’s worth a migration tool is being built and would have solved these types of issues. But for the most part, migrating from the built in to the addon is not a simple feat. You basically need to refresh every node after startup or exclude/reinclude to populate the ozw_xxxx.cfg file with the right information.

And it’s looking like Zwave JS may have to do the same thing when it’s complete. We need more dumps though. Hopefully in the coming weeks we will have a container for Zwave JS and people can provide zwave configuration dumps so that we can properly answer that question.

1 Like

This is my only real gripe about the native Z-Wave integration is that it is slow compared to my last system that was easily 5x faster than this. I was used to nearly instant response and was dismayed at waiting so long in HA. I know some of that (maybe most of it) has to do with the fact that the current implementations of Z-Wave don’t multicast, but I’m looking forward to the new Z-Wave JS that supposedly has multicast.

I’m not looking forward to switching my HA to any new platform because with so many devices it is going to take forever to migrate. If it was just the devices, great, but it’s not, its also all the scripts, automations and the like that will be a pain.

One thing my last system did wonderfully is account for migrations or replacing equipment, it would let you instantly change all your various related items over if you replaced a device. I realize that so long as I name the new device the exact same entity id that some of this would be resolved, but that means I have to rename all the “dead devices” first.

1 Like

Utilize the same entity names and you don’t have to update scripts/automations.

I had stated that already, but if the old ones aren’t renamed first then that won’t work.

That’s where the migration tools are supposed to assist :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi…

So I have to rebuild my Zwave network this weekend, was debating on going openzwave then started to read this thread. I am still newbie with HA, should I go openzwave? I only have maybe 20 devices or so…

I wouldn’t.

it looks like (maybe…?) the new direction is going to be zwave js. But it’s not ready yet.

I would just use the built-in zwave integration for now then switch over to whatever the “new official” integration is going to be once all of the dust settles.

Anyway you go there is going to be at least some pain in migrating if you want to stick with whatever the official integration will be. Hopefully a migration tool mitigates some of that when zwave js becomes more mature.

But who knows? maybe OZW development will resume again now and it will be OK going forward. But I don’t know that I would count on that reading some of the posts in this thread.

2 Likes

I will provide you with anything you need while I still have my HA running and before I blow it away to go back to SmartThings, just tell me what you need and how and I’ll get whatever you ask.

I have always been prepared to help wherever I can and provide money where I can’t, I gave actual cold hard cash to several developers on the SmartThings platform who weren’t even asking for it but to be honest, the reception I and several others have received here from developers over simple criticism has very quickly made me look the other way.

I have 74 Z-Wave devices paired of varying sorts, I have over 90 in total but I stopped pairing them the more things got unstable because there’s no point since as it’s stands Z-Wave and thus HA is completely unusable to me. I chose the most supported method using the most supported hardware possible thinking it would give me the best experience but it has been the total opposite.

Tell me what will help you the most and how and I will do my best.

Just an update for everyone. I’m in the process of importing every single certified zwave device into Zwavejs2mqtt and node-zwave-js (the new server backend). I’m about 98% finished and working on bugs now so confident it’ll work. It’s a few hundred additions and revisions to around 1,000 device files representing devices from all over the world (after accounting for model changes…its 4,700 entries total). In talking with the maintainer, our goal is to have it auto-PR newly added devices each week or so. At the moment the database even includes pre-release devices so hopefully device file issues become a thing of the past.

From switches to bulbs to thermostats to mousers and graters (whatever the hell they are…the Russians have some interesting devices), we’ll have device files for it all.

20 Likes

Thanks so much! Very nice to see how you have on the one hand been passionately advocating for the need to do something about the deadlock position Z-wave for home assistant was in (with qt-openzwave not moving forward), and on the other hand are now with an equal amount of passion contributing to implementing to the newly defined roadmap.

Given the flurry of activity I’m seeing and the speed of development, I wonder whether my choice of starting off with the current (outdated) native integration is the right one. Perhaps in a few months zwavejs will already outperform the native integration on almost all fronts. In that case I would simply wait a bit longer with migrating my z-wave devices to Home Assistant.

Perhaps in a few months zwavejs will already outperform the native integration on almost all fronts. In that case I would simply wait a bit longer with migrating my z-wave devices to Home Assistant.

Definitely a possibility, though we’ll see how many bug reports we get after the 2021.2 release

3 Likes

In this light :-)… is there already a positive advise to “easily move from QT-Openzwave to JSOpenzwave”?

There’s no such thing as JSOpenzwave :wink:

Right now migration between the integrations would be completely manual. Depending on how many devices you have (and what kind of devices) it may or may not be worth it yet. I’m not sure if anyone is running the new integration on a large “production” network yet, most of us have been using smaller test Z-Wave networks.

are there instructions for updating the device database located anywhere?

I’m not even sure where I would submit updates. I submitted a PR for a couple of devices to OZW so I could do the same for zwavejs.

Also it might be better to continue zwavejs discussions in it’s own thread.

I started one already but if you want to start another that would be OK too.

there’s no reason to start out a discussion oin the new stuff in a thread that already has over 200 posts about the old stuff to wade thru.

2 Likes