Cannot change static IP of ethernet device

So I have a weird issue.

When I try to change the static IP of a ethernet device, when attempting an upload of the config via OTA, its trying to connect to the NEW ip rather then the OLD, resulting in a failed upload.

I then have to change the IP back to its original IP for the board to connect to esphome again.

Anyone seen this before and know a workaround?

Thanks

Use use_address

are you sure this works with the ethernet component?

As it didnt like it

• use_address (Optional, string): Manually override what address to use to connect to the ESP. Defaults to auto-generated value. For example, if you have changed your static IP and want to flash OTA to the previously configured IP address.

Ok sorry tried again and working now,

its getting late. im getting tried haha.

Thanks

sure? Any yaml/logs you got? (How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question)

• use_address (Optional, string): Manually override what address to use to connect to the ESP. Defaults to auto-generated value. For example, if you have changed your static IP and want to flash OTA to the previously configured IP address.

Hi,
just do that, but device didn’t change address. This is a little bit strange.
Is there a better explaination how to set a static IP?
With best regatds
Gerhard

If you can’t get it working you could maybe use dhcp and set a MAC address based IP reservation in your router ? An approach I recommend.

2 Likes

Yes, but when I have to change the device I also have to change the router entry. I prefer ‘single point of changes’ …
Thanks a lot.

With best regards

Gerhard

:point_down:

:face_with_monocle:

failure? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are adding to an 8-month-old thread, and I don’t grok what you mean with “do that”.

If you are describing “use_address”, then you are not using it correctly.

I’m not certain what is your question and how it expands on the original post. Please start a new thread and use complete sentences.

1 Like