Cannot install Home Assistant without ethernet on Raspberry Pi4

Unfortunately I do not physical access to my router so I can’t connect the Pi4 via Ethernet to install Home Assistant OS. I spent a day searching for guides to install it through wifi but none of them worked. Here is what I tried:

1. placing a wpa_supplicant.conf file in the main directory of the SD card (after writing it with balena etcher) with this text:
    network={
    ssid=“ssid of your wifi”
    #psk=“your wifi password”
    I pugged the SD card into the Pi, gave it power but after ~30 minutes I still can’t find the Pi on my network

2. The two methods described here: Home Assistant Installation Guide 2021 - Tech Tech & More Tech , creating a “config” and a “network” folder inside the boot folder of the SD, and placing a “my-network” file inside, but still no luck

3. I tried giving the Pi an ethernet connection using the shared connection feature of Windows11. My desktop pc is connected via wifi and i connected the Pi to my pc using an ethernet cable. I can confirm that the shared connection is working (because I tried it with my laptop) but I still can’t find the Pi on my network…

4. I tried burning the SD card with Raspberry Pi Imager, using the shortcut ctrl+shift+X to set up my wifi ssid and password before burning the SD, but still no luck

I don’t know what to do… I know it is possible to install Home Assistant OS without Ethernet but none of the method worked for me… Maybe some syntax errors in the wpa_supplicant.conf or my-network files? Or maybe my router is giving trouble (it is a DVA-5592)? I installed Raspbian and made it connect automatically to my wifi at first boot with no problems using Raspberry Pi Imager…

I used the instructions here (though some time ago now):

The bit about setting up wi-fi is about halfway down the page.

I already tried this method… But I can retry… Just to make sure I understand correctly: after creating the folders and the “my-network” files inside the SD card, I put the SD card into the raspberry, power it on, and then wait few minutes… After that I could be able to reach the raspberry at homeassistant.local:8123. Am I right?
Also, on the configuration page of my router I see that the wifi password mode is WPA2-PSK. Do I need to change “wpa-psk” with “wpa2-psk” inside the “my-network” file?

Hi, I would like to know if you solve your problem, i’m facing the same kind of problem since my ethernet is brocken on the pi…
I will be glad to have your solution if it exist…

I went through the same frustration (and ended up in this thread). After some digging, I found the solution based on the official documentation:

and this thread:

Steps, assuming you use some Linux distro:

1. install HA with the raspberry PI installer
  2. mount your boot partition (you can find it using lsblk), e.g.sudo mount /dev/sda1 /home/username/rpi-disk1/
  3. create config folder sudo mkdir -p /home/username/rpi-disk1/CONFIG/network
  4. create my-network file sudo nano /home/username/rpi-disk1/CONFIG/network/my-network with content:
[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=<RANDOM-UUID>
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=<WIFI-SSID>

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=<WIFI-PASSWORD>

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto
  1. unmount partition: sudo umount /home/username/rpi-disk1, and unmount the SD card
  2. after starting your PI, you will be able to access your HA server within 5 minutes
1 Like

Thanks for this!

For anyone else on a Mac, step 2 is a little more complicated:

• You can use diskutil list instead of lsblk to find the partition (you’re looking for the first partition of 8, e.g. /dev/disk4s1)
  • You need to specify MS-DOS as the filesystem type, like this: sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk4s1 ...

I spent forever going down a rabbit hole to get EXT4 partitions to mount, only to discover that the HA boot partition is just FAT, smh. :disappointed: You may be able to use the vfat type as well, but msdos worked fine for me.