Cannot restore from backup

There are multiple options to backup HA and it does not have to be from inside HA, if you are running HA like your life depends on it.

Other platforms do not even give you the ability to backup, therefore HA viewed from any angle is more advanced than anything out there. Have you ever tried to backup a PLC or a Crestron system or Control4, or Lutron/Dynalite, or anything else for that matter?

Yes, this is one of the many methods I have resorted to now, I just manually backup the folders by copying them via SMB share and back them up. The most important files are the YAML files anyway.

Container backups and manual file copying.

But since moving to the supervised HA install, I can backup and restore fine in HA directly.

Perhaps you missed the point of this entire thread. The methods provided for backing up a HA environment are unreliable. Therefore, your suggestion of using the backup functionality within HA to protect from disaster is kinda mute.

Also, I find it funny that HA, an open source, community based project for home automation enthusiasts/hobbyists is now considered a commercial/industrial grade product. I’m happy to hear that the HA team is thinking of that happening. But in all honesty, the product is far from it. Until the culture changes and end users who are reporting bugs are treated with a little more respect for their effort of reporting bugs, the HA culture will drive more people away than it attracts. HA is a complex piece of software. It has gotten better over time. But it is an absolute house of cards that requires constant attention as updates are constantly breaking functionality.

Anyway, I don’t know why I bother posting here as it just seems to be that the HA team gets defensive when people post bugs and they remove posts cause someone’s feelings are hurt. As a community, the developers and end users need to have channels of communication to express disappointment, frustration and constructive dialogue. Insulting the end user base, or removing their posts is simply telling the end users they don’t matter in this project. Members of the HA team should learn to simply not get so emotional about constructive criticism. Take it with a grain of salt and learn to ask appropriate questions to ferret out the problems with the bugs.

1 Like

Please point out the insults in this topic and I or another moderator will remove them. We do not tolerate that sort of behaviour.

1 Like

Without any insults I can also confirm the restore option is not working for me as well on multiple HA instances.
I am restoring from a backup of a debian based:
Home Assistant 2023.8.1
Supervisor 2023.07.1
Frontend-versie: 20230802.0 - latest

to the latest HA OS 10.4 running on proxmox.

1 Like

I am also not able to restore my backup. I’ve waited for 5 hours and home assistant only went down. After a “force” reboot nothing was restored. I am not able to migrate to another disk/system.

Is there another way to install backups or migrate to another system, maybe by just copying some files?

1 Like

pleas help me out, after a crash of my sd card i cannot restore. i download yesterdays full backup to my newly created ha with the imager. i selected the backup to restore and now did wait 3 hours! now i restarted my pi4, ander there has nothing changed No RESTORE !!! Help!!!

1 Like

It is unfortunate how long this issue has taken to resolve. this is indeed a serious problem that needs to be resolved as soon as possible but it seems that no one listens to users

1 Like

let them walk around with “HA decoration” issues and don’t solve the product’s real problems

1 Like

Everyone here needs to understand that restoring from a backup on a pi (or equivalent) can take hours especially if you include your database in the backup. Run into this every day on discord. People are impatient and don’t wait for the restore to finish before deeming it “broken”. Take the time to watch the supervisor logs to see it’s progress.

If you aren’t running HAOS, just extract the config from the file. It’s a zip file. Literally. You can even do this on HAOS.

1 Like

So I started my restore 19.00 and over night until 9.00 and it was done.

Fresh installation, installed samba addon, imported backup and started restore process. My backup had the size of 2 GB.

You’re welcome to contribute to the project to make it better for all users.

Why respond like that?! @VNRARA made a legitimate comment. A better response should have been, “good idea! - we should add a progress bar to let people know stuff is happening.” Basic sh!t man
 Just simply basic! Ya didn’t need to insult him like that.

It’s not an insult. I’m not on the development team. I can’t make a decision to add that feature. So no I can’t reply with “good idea! - we should add a progress bar to let people know stuff is happening”.

If you want a feature, make a feature request. Otherwise, you add the feature yourself.

@VNRARA and now you are rudely pointing out missing features to a person who has no control over the feature and I don’t appreciate it.

Just tossing this out for anyone that has hit this thread trying to restore a full backup (for HA OS on Raspberry Pi at least).

In Add ons not working properly after snapshot restore I tried clarify some of the stumbling points I hit as a novice backup user. As it turns out once some of the less obvious menus are found it is a relatively simple 1) create and download a full backup 2) during initial startup of a new HA OS image, choose to upload / restore your downloaded backup 3) Reboot (not restart) HA to restore functionality. I hope this will help someone hitting this topic.

I have a backup from a HA instance in a VM on Mac — now I’m trying to set up HA on an unRAID server in Docker.

The docs say

After Home Assistant has been installed, on the welcome screen, select Restore from backup .

However my welcome screen does not have “Restore from backup”. Only “create my smart home”, “read our vision”, “join the community”, “download our app”, “english”, “help”.

Is this unraid docker image an older or newer version of HA than the docs are written for?

Edit:
I guess this is a docker / container install problem? Would be nice if docs referenced this.

I decided to go with a VM install route, this page has unraid specific instructions: Linux - Home Assistant