Cannot update HA running on Ubuntu Server

I have chosen installation category as I installed HA on my headless Ubuntu server 20.04.5 which is also running Homebridge and other things.

I have a snap install, not docker as best as I understand it. and it says it is version 2022.10.5 latest. If I try to update it says I do not have any integrations that provide updates.

I am trying to install the MQTT Mosquito add on but I have no configuration button or add on access, or a “store” in settings.

I did install this a few moths ago and did not spend the time to really set anything up, but I want to use HA to access misc devices and have HA talk to Homebridge to use with Homekit, HA see a lot of the devices in my home at this point.

Looking for some direction I guess, not step by step instructions.

Thanks.

Is it this one?

If it is then what you have installed is Home Assistant Core.

There are several installation methods and the one you selected, Home Assistant Core, doesn’t support add-ons.

Reference: Compare Installation Methods

However, the Mosquitto MQTT Broker is also available as a snap package so you can explore that installation option:

Thank you for your reply!

Is there a way to check if that is what I did?

Was it you or someone else who installed it? If it wasn’t you, ask the person who installed it.

EDIT

The following article explains how to get information about your installed snap packages:

I was the one who installed it, and your replies have helped, I need to remove it and decide if I want to learn how to use Docker, or use my Rasperrypi to run it, thank you again.

If you’re using a rpi 4 and want a headless build you can use this method to do the install. I personally don’t care for snap and would recommend dockers. It’s inline with the home assistant developers method.

Here are some instructions I used with students I work with to install HA on a RPI image on dockers. This was this year so I believe the instructions should still be good.

Make sure Debian is using legacy iptables as required by dockers

sudo update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
sudo update-alternatives --set ip6tables /usr/sbin/ip6tables-legacy

Make sure system packages are up to date and install Home Assistant required packages

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get -y upgrade

Install needed packages

sudo apt -y install jq libglib2.0-bin udisks2 network-manager network-manager-config-connectivity-debian netcat mosquitto-clients networkd-dispatcher ifmetric systemd-journal-remote

Install docker – first grab a key for docker

curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/debian/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/docker-archive-keyring.gpg

Add key to repo keyring and add the docker repository so you can pull docker package

echo \
 "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture) signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/docker-archive-keyring.gpg]\
 https://download.docker.com/linux/debian \
  $(lsb_release -cs) stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null

Make sure the list of available packages is updated then pull and install the appropriate docker packages

sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get -y install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io

Pull the agent application required by home assistant

wget -cq --show-progress https://github.com/home-assistant/os-agent/releases/download/1.4.1/os-agent_1.4.1_linux_aarch64.deb

Install the agent

sudo dpkg -i os-agent_1.4.1_linux_aarch64.deb

Enable the dns service required by HA

sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service
sudo systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

Set up a fake grub bootloader file so HA install package works

sudo touch /etc/default/grub
echo '#!/bin/bash' | sudo tee /usr/bin/update-grub
echo 'echo got it' | sudo tee -a /usr/bin/update-grub
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/update-grub

Add some kernel arguments, some that are required by HA, some that make the system more stable.

sudo sed  -i  '/rootwait/ s/$/ systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=false usbcore.autosuspend=-1 usbcore.autosuspend=-1 clk_ignore_unused cgroup_enable=cpuset cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory apparmor=1 security=apparmor/' /boot/broadcom/cmdline.txt

At this point it would be a good idea to reboot and then connect back to your pi via putty using:

sudo shutdown -r now

Install HA containers via the following:

wget -cq --show-progress https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb
sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb

A menu will pop up and you need to select the correct board type (raspberrypi3-64). This will indicate a reboot is required, but that’s not the case as we rebooted above.

At this point it’ll take a while for all the home assistant docker containers to download and be installed. In your pi command window you can do:

watch sudo netstat -lntp

Once you see services listening on ports 4357, 8123 and 40000 your system should be up and running. This will take a while, like 12 minutes or more, as the system is downloading all the docker containers required for home assistant. Once you see port 8123 is up and running you can actually connect with a web browser. The web page presented will refresh once everything is up and running and you can finish the initial configuration via the web install.

1 Like

This is a lot.

I literally just installed docker then ran the HA image. This has reliably worked for me over several installs.

It’s the commands to do exactly what you said you did, addressing issues that I’ve hit in recent installs. I’ve found that being specific about the commands that must be executed is helpful for less experience individuals. It’s also helpful for more experienced individuals when something changes that impacts the install process and an experience individual is trying to figure out how to address the issue. Hopefully it’s useful.

In that case, I suggest you consider installing Home Assistant OS.

The installation process is straightforward and includes a lightweight operating system (with automatic updates) along with a version of Home Assistant that includes Supervisor and support for Add-ons.

The one drawback is that you can’t use it to run other applications (you are limited to installing only applications that are available as Add-ons).