Can't connect to HassIO in web browser

I installed Home Assistant earlier this year (0.90 I believe) and just barely began to dabble in the environment. I eventually shelved/gave up on it due to a high learning curve and because I was unable to get DuckDNS working so I could access and program my configuration remotely.

Fast forward a few months and I’m willing to give it another look. However, when I fire up my RPi3, I am unable to connect reliably. I went through the port forwarding process (8123) months ago and I was able to connect then. And sometimes I am able to connect now, but usually I just get this error:

This site can’t be reached
**192.168.0.xxx**  refused to connect.
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I know I am pointing to the right local IP because I set it up as static and when I scan my local network, I see HassIO at that IP.

When I am able to connect, I lose the connection after a few minutes so I am unable to even complete the update to 0.98 so I can continue to troubleshoot the DuckDNS issues I was running into months ago!

Hi Steve,
It’s good to see you back and willing to give it another go.
This is pretty much where I was with setting up duckdns
Have a look at : -

It should cover everything you need to get a system connectable both locally and remotely (there is a BIG difference).
Not sure how much config and entity integration you’ve done so far but it may be worth starting from scratch.
Take regular backups with the hassio snapshot tool and then copy them off the local machine from the /backup directory
(minimises the amount of rework during major changes, well worth the effort)
Get back if you have any problems
Mutt

Yeah… I think I am going to start over from scratch. I hadn’t done anything worth keeping yet. It will probably be late in the weekend before I can give this a go but I appreciate your reply and wanted to let you know I will be doing this!

Certainly update us as if there is anything unclear, we can correct it and help the next guy.
Finding the time is difficult sometimes, but we’ll proceed at your pace.
Regards
Mutt