Can't find my Zone B using Yamaha integration

Can you control volume from the MusicCast app? Can you share screenshots from the app showing how the Zone B is controlled?

You can check what features of the amp are available via API by calling the below api (just enter this address into the browser):
http://{host}/YamahaExtendedControl/v1/system/getFeatures
where {host} is the IP address of your amp.
Post here back the full response from the amp.
Also, you can check the API documentation to see which features are available for your Zone B.

I’m not talking about Zone B, I’m talking about the volume…

You should have a media_player entity for your amp. And it has volume control as well as a few other features. And it should look like something similar:

Ah, I think I know what’s your problem. You should use the yamaha_musiccast platform instead of yamaha. The yamaha platform is for older devices which don’t have MusicCast.

media_player:
  - platform: yamaha_musiccast
    host: 10.144.1.158

Although even the yamaha integration should give you the possibility to control volume. It does in my case but I have the old amp:

Can I ignore sources with MusicCast integration?
Thanks

Don’t know, check the documentation. But that should be a minor issue I suppose.

I have the same issue with Zone B with not being able to control it using the integrations. I originally was using the yamaha integration the same way as the original post. But then after reading this thread changed to the yamaha_musiccast integration. It appears that i am still unable to control power of Zone B.

I can use the Yamaha AV controller app from my phone to turn on and off Zone B successfully but do not see how i can do this from home assistant.
I have a second set of speakers in my kitchen area which i want to be able to turn on via home assistant which will just play the same audio which is on the main zone. While i can do this via the yamaha app i would like to be able to control in home assistant so i can create automatons.

Here is an extract of a query to /YamahaExtendedControl/v1/system/getFeatures which contains some zone_b information.

{"response_code":0,"system":{"func_list":["wired_lan","wireless_lan","wireless_direct","network_standby","network_standby_auto","bluetooth_standby","bluetooth_tx_setting","zone_b_volume_sync","hdmi_out_1","airplay","disklavier_settings","remote_info","network_reboot"],"zone_num":2,"input_list":[{"id":"spotify","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"juke","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":true,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"qobuz","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":true,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"tidal","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":true,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"deezer","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":true,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"airplay","distribution_enable":false,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"mc_link","distribution_enable":false,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"server","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"net_radio","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"bluetooth","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":false,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"usb","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"netusb"},
{"id":"tuner","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"tuner"},
{"id":"hdmi1","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"hdmi2","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"hdmi3","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"hdmi4","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"av1","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"av2","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"av3","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"audio1","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"audio2","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"audio3","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"},
{"id":"aux","distribution_enable":true,"rename_enable":true,"account_enable":false,"play_info_type":"none"}]},"zone":[{"id":"main","func_list":["power","sleep","volume","mute","sound_program","direct","enhancer","tone_control","dialogue_level","signal_info","prepare_input_change","link_control","link_audio_delay","link_audio_quality","scene","cursor","menu","surr_decoder_type","contents_display","actual_volume"],"input_list":["spotify","juke","qobuz","tidal","deezer","airplay","mc_link","server","net_radio","bluetooth","usb","tuner","hdmi1","hdmi2","hdmi3","hdmi4","av1","av2","av3","audio1","audio2","audio3","aux"],"sound_program_list":["munich","vienna","chamber","cellar_club","roxy_theatre","bottom_line","sports","action_game","roleplaying_game","music_video","standard","spectacle","sci-fi","adventure","drama","mono_movie","2ch_stereo","7ch_stereo","surr_decoder","straight"],"surr_decoder_type_list":["toggle","auto","dolby_surround","dts_neural_x","dts_neo6_cinema","dts_neo6_music"],"tone_control_mode_list":["manual"],"link_control_list":["speed","standard","stability"],"link_audio_delay_list":["audio_sync","lip_sync"],"link_audio_quality_list":["compressed","uncompressed"],"range_step":[{"id":"volume","min":0,"max":161,"step":1},{"id":"tone_control","min":-12,"max":12,"step":1},{"id":"dialogue_level","min":0,"max":3,"step":1},{"id":"actual_volume_db","min":-80.5,"max":16.5,"step":0.5},{"id":"actual_volume_numeric","min":0.0,"max":97.0,"step":0.5}], "scene_num":4,"cursor_list":["up","down","left","right","select","return"],"menu_list":["on_screen","top_menu","menu","option","display","red","green","yellow","blue"],"actual_volume_mode_list":["db","numeric"]},
{"id":"zone2","zone_b":true,"func_list":["power","volume","mute","prepare_input_change","actual_volume"],"input_list":["spotify","juke","qobuz","tidal","deezer","airplay","mc_link","server","net_radio","bluetooth","usb","tuner","hdmi1","hdmi2","hdmi3","hdmi4","av1","av2","av3","audio1","audio2","audio3","aux"],"range_step":[{"id":"volume","min":0,"max":161,"step":1},{"id":"actual_volume_db","min":-80.5,"max":16.5,"step":0.5},{"id":"actual_volume_numeric","min":0.0,"max":97.0,"step":0.5}],"actual_volume_mode_list":["db","numeric"]}],"tuner":{"func_list":["am","fm","rds"],"range_step":[{"id":"am","min":531,"max":1611,"step":9},{"id":"fm","min":87500,"max":108000,"step":50}],"preset":{"type":"common","num":40}},"netusb":{"func_list":["recent_info","play_queue","mc_playlist","streaming_service_use"],"preset":{"num":40},"recent_info":{"num":40},"play_queue":{"size":200},"mc_playlist":{"size":200,"num":5},"net_radio_type":"airable","pandora":{"sort_option_list":["recent","alphabet"]}},"distribution":{"version":2.00,"compatible_client":[2],"client_max":9,"server_zone_list":["main"]},"ccs":{"supported":true},"privacy":{"gdpr_supported":true}}

Your amp’s second zone is called zone 2, not zone B and it does indeed look like it should be supported.

Open the quickbar by pressing e in any view and type medizon in the search bar. Do you see a zone 2 media player?

Untitled

Thanks for the quick response.

I only see the main zone. No zone 2 in my list of entities.

This is the only entity related to the amp:
mediamain

That’s not the search term I said to use, but am assuming you did that after trying medizon.

What model amp?

Hi tom. As a new user to the forum I am not able to post more than one screenshot in the post. But when i searched for “medizon” i got no results. So thought i would share the only one which gave me a response which was showing my main zone. Sorry for the confusion.

I have the RX-V583. I have been looking at the API documentation and can hit the below API call which allows me to power on zone 2.

http://<amp_ip>/YamahaExtendedControl/v1/zone2/setPower?power=on

I really think your second zone should be supported. The Yamaha integration supports the V573 and V585.

What happens if you turn the second zone on and restart home assistant?

Maybe you could force it by mapping the zone_name?

If not, I suggest you open an issue.

1 Like

Thanks Tom, I tried a restart with zone 2 powered on but it did not discover anything new.

When i was using the yahama integration i did try adding the zone_name but that did not seem to help. With yahama_musiccast unfortunately the zone_name is not supported.

I will open an issue as you suggested.

As a short term work around to allow me to at least power on zone 2 from HA i added the following to my configuration.yaml file:

rest_command:
  backroomamp_zone2:
    url: 'http://192.168.1.20/YamahaExtendedControl/v1/zone2/setPower?power=toggle'

Then created a simple button to toggle the zone on and off again.

type: button
name: Amp Zone 2
icon: 'mdi:power'
tap_action:
  action: call-service
  service: rest_command.backroomamp_zone2

Why not make a rest switch instead? I’m willing to bet that the functionality exists but has not been implemented. Seeing as it’s a simple rest API, you can get it working if you know the calls.

May be of some use:

Hi Petro, I had a look at the Rest Switch but that uses a POST to perform the action and the API for the yamaha only supports the action via a GET request. Thanks for the suggestion, i will keep this in mind for other use cases which may use POST requests.

1 Like

Thanks Tom, I like what you have done there. That is my end goal too. I will be spending some hours this evening working through that post.

Also love the way you used a smoke alarm icon for the subwoofer :slight_smile:

The API reference will give you the commands for power, volume and source for zone 2 but you won’t actually have a media player, which is why I think you should open an issue.

Thanks. Issue opened https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/43144