Can't login to HA cloud with the companion app: An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made

Apologize for necroposting but this happened today and might be useful to others.

Using nabucasa and yesterday could no longer access home assistant from the internet and received the red “An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.” message shown in a previous post. Opened Home Assistant Cloud configuration in Home Assistant and found that it was no longer connected to nabucasa and didn’t have any info or indication it was ever setup. Like I mentioned, this had been working fine until yesterday.

Entered my account info, it connected and everything appears to be working. No updates have been installed for Home Assistant for about a month. Currently using 2021.9.7 and iOS app version 2021.10.

Also have had weird notification issues for the past approx. week when outside the house. Just stopped receiving them. Weird thing is I checked the nabucasa connection status when troubleshooting the external notification issue and it said it was connected.

Coincidence? Why did it just lose the connection info?

1 Like

Everything is screwed up with nabu casa at the moment. I no longer receive notifications on cellular even though i am logged n on my phone. When logging in and out of nabu casa on my phone, websocket in companion app keeps saying “connecting…” But never connects. Really annoying.

I am using Cloudflare for DNS & Nginx as reverse Proxy. For SSL I am using Let’s Encrypt.

I was having the same issue. The root of it was that at one point i had logged in and tried Nabu Casa, but then switched to using my own reverse proxy. When logging in from the companion app, it sees your nabu casa login and still tries to connect to it, but since my subscription expired, it just gives SSL errors on the nabu casa url.

To fix:

• Go to Configuration > Home Assistant Cloud
  • Click the three dots in the top right
  • Click “Sign out”

Then try to log in to the companion app on iOS again and it should work.