Can't Remove Docker Containers

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I decided to take a look at Hass.io just to poke around. I’m not new to Hass or Docker, but now that I’m done tinkering I want to remove the containers but they keep coming back.

I tried to remove the directory /usr/share/hassio, along with stopping and removing the docker containers, but eventually hassio_supervisor container restarts and then brings back the second homeassistant instance.

How do I get rid of these?

Have a look at what the script does.

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/blob/master/install/hassio_install

look into the service. :wink:

1 Like

OH MY GOD.

Thanks…

How did you remove it?

By turning off the service first?

How can I completely erase hassio (installed with docker on Ubuntu)?
It just sits there with
INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer:starting
I’d like to start from scratch - preferable without wiping the entire disk.

The script is saying exactly what it does. So you just have to revert that.

Simply do the following:

stop services

(thanks @IcyMidnight)

sudo systemctl stop hassio-supervisor.service
sudo systemctl stop hassio-apparmor.service

disable services

sudo systemctl disable hassio-supervisor.service
sudo systemctl disable hassio-apparmor.service

remove services

sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/hassio-supervisor.service
sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/system/hassio-apparmor.service

removing hassio folders (except the config folder)

sudo rm -rf /usr/sbin/hassio-supervisor
sudo rm -rf /usr/sbin/hassio-apparmor

Now delete the remaining docker images like you always do.

If you want to delete your Home Assistant config files,

Do the following, but be carefull! Your config is lost forever:

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/hassio/

31 Likes

Many thanks for these detailed instructions! Hopefully I will never need them …

(I did reinstall linux to fix my messed up installation, but now I am learning about docker and hassio, so hopefully I have better ways to deal with problems).

1 Like

Thanks for making it easy, tuncaya :slight_smile:

You probably also want to stop the services first:

sudo systemctl stop hassio-supervisor.service
sudo systemctl stop hassio-apparmor.service

In my case hassio-supervisor seemed to still be running and re-created the supervisor container.

2 Likes

This is interesting. A few times I have updated docker and the Hassio container does not start again… I have to manually start them in Portainer…

Yeah. The hassio setup has lead to me having a dead home assistant a few times, so I’m abandonning ship and switching to managing the container myself with a docker-compose file.

Thanks, added it

Hello. Can you share you docker compose file ?

I have a docker stack thread posted in the share your projects forum.

THANK YOU FOR THIS, I have been running into memory issues and this is making my pi 4 docker environment act a little wonky, it may NOT be hass.io, but it’s nice to finally be able to remove it and not try and remember what I set up months and months ago, it’s finally gone and I can be at peace - thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome :wink:

I updated docker yesterday and ran into problems with Home Assistant (wouldn’t start again - even after system reboot - it seemed). So I cleared out the entire Home Assistant installation (all containers) using the instructions provided by @tuncaya above (thanks!) - stopping, disabling and removing the supervisor, then removing all containers and reinstalling. That worked and I’m back up and running, but it made me wonder:

What is the correct procedure for updating docker? I should probably have stopped the containers first? How to do that properly? Using @tuncaya’s procedure (the first two steps) of stopping and disabling the supervisor, then stopping all other containers, updating docker and then restarting the supervisor (and all containers)? Anyone?

I have never stopped HA before updating. After the update there is a docker command to restart the supervisor container which I use from ssh to the host. (Or I use Portainer as my Portainer is just a stand alone install which does restart automatically to restart the supervisor and home assistant containers). Then when HA is running, I have a script that starts all the addons as Portainer doesn’t work for them I have found.

Rebooting the host should result in everything starting normally but the host uptime is a source of pride and I don’t restart/reboot the host unless as a last resort.

This has never failed for me to get up and running again.

Ok well I have to admit that wasn’t fun.

I recently upgraded to using mariadb again.

I just did a debian update that included docker.

As per usual, I used Portainer to restart the homeassistant container. I used a bash script to restart the supervisor service as well. Then I tried to access home assistant. Nothing. Used bash to look at the logs and it was shitting itself as the mariadb addon wasn’t running. I then found Portainer is happy or HA is happy if Portainer starts all the core addons - it just won’t start the non-core community ones - or at least if you try that they stop by themselves again immediately.

Still HA won’t start and still the logger errors in the log.

I then restarted HA, supervisor, dns and audio containers (in Portainer) and HA started normally.

Yeah…

Sounds close to what I experienced yesterday. I, too, was updating Debian (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade) and as part of that, docker was updated. The rest is described above and was solved, but not particularly gracefully…

Oh, well, I guess the odd scare is unavoidable…