Can't restore backup

I’m running HA 12.1 OS on a proxmox server. I decided to restore a backup that was 2 days old and got a bunch of errors that the recorder was not work. I had an old proxmox backup that I tried to restore and it failed. After tinkering I managed to get an instance of HA running but after I restore the backup my automation and zwave integration plus others are missing. The backup was supposed to be a full backup. I’m lost at this point and would appreciate some advice. Thanks

I assume you are trying to restore a HA backup. For a full VM backup you must use Proxmox backup. I suggest you add the missing add-ons, reconfig and then head to setup Proxmox based backups.

You need to setup and save at least 2 every week, and 2 every month.

So if I add the missing add-ons will a restore of my HA backup put back the system to how it was?
I know I made things worse by interjecting the Proxmox restore. Should I not be able to restore a HA back to go to a prior point in time without everything breaking?

Proxmox-based backups are full backups of the entire VM, i.e. the entire HAOS instance (everything inside HAOS, like HACS components, UI, any config you have ever done, HA backups, YAML, add-ons, you name it).

HA-based full-backups are only partial backups, for example no HACS components are included.

See this conversation for a better understanding of HA backup.

Everything in the /config directory is in the backup, including custom components installed by HACS.

1 Like

As it has been ages since I used HA backups to restore (actually never had to restore a production backup), do they (HACS and add-ons) always restore consistently? Just for user clarification, if they do not restore consistently what are the circumstances which can cause inconsistent behaviour, sans installation failures due to data corruption?

It might be worthwhile explaining so everyone is on the same page.

Custom components restore consistently.
Add-ons too, but the most problems come from people not restarting their machine after restore (or when running in a VM, not restarting the VM)

So the moral of the story is restore backup followed by REBOOT.

indeed, not just restart HA.

I destroyed the VM and recreate the HA VM. I’m trying to restore the backup from the onboarding screen when you first start HA. My backup is 890 MB.

Is is true this could take hours to finish?
Will everything but HACS be restored?

It can take a long time to restore and process should restore everything including HACS.

My suggestion is to allow HA restore to take however long it takes, then do all your backups through Proxmox, i.e. VM backup.

Because sometimes browsers do not refresh, every now and then refresh your browser to see the status of the HA restore, which at some point in time will come up with restore complete. Refresh browser as you can get stale pages, which require manual refresh.

When RESTORE complete ensure you REBOOT HA before you do anything else.

Finally got things working. Start with a fresh HA vm and restored a different backup from a samba share. The google drive back up had a password on it. Maybe the pw was incorrect (no error msg). Only thing I noticed that isn’t working is my cloudflared add on, iPhone app. It only works in my home on wifi. Will investigate further. Thanks.

Proxmox restore gives error 5

rescan volumes...
  Command failed with status code 5.
command '/sbin/vgscan --ignorelockingfailure --mknodes' failed: exit code 5
TASK OK