Can't upgrade to version 65, need Python 3.5.3 and pytango error

Thanks having a go at trying Docker.
Can you explain why your command is different from HA’s official one?

The official one

docker run -d --name="home-assistant" -v /path/to/your/config:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

differs in two aspects from mine, because:

1. the “-p” option (port) on my version makes no sense when --net=host is use. Simply discard it, it’s from legacy experiments.
  2. the “–rm” option (remove, mind the double dash) removes the container instance when it is stopped. This way you can use the “run” command before having to remove the container (“docker rm hass”) first. Containers should be ephemeral, no data inside the container is persistent.
  3. the explicit version number for the image homeassistant/home-assistant is missing in the official version, which makes Docker to use the image version tagged as “latest”.
  4. the “–name” option defines just a symbolic name for the container, so you can use this name with commands like “docker logs”, “docker stop” etc. A name to choose is up to you. Infact “home-assistant” is a better choice, because for Germans (like me) “hass” is the German translation of “hate” :wink:

I updated my first version above, removed the -p option and adjusted the symbolic name from “hass” to “home-assistant”.

Thanks. I guess I have a bit of work to get used to / learn docker:
I can’t access the web interface (I was using SSL on my standard HA instance) and I’ll need to authorise / map access to USB devices, like my RFXTrx transceiver, etc.

It should only be required for the creation of the virtual environment.

1 Like

I am still working on learning how to properly use Docker and Virtual Environments. In the meantime I took a different approach and installed python 3.6 alongside the existing python 2.7 and 3.5 chains. This web page gives a very clear, easy way to do that. In doing it this way it allows a quick and easy “roll back” if needed.
See: Add python 3.6 to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS