Capture Amazon Dash button press

@danimtb’s is really simple, removing the need for many of the dasher options. Yours is obviously a full dasher experience with more scope for customisation. Don’t know if how they work in the background is different or not?

Is the need to set the config via ssh because you haven’t yet set up a hass.io accessible config yet or a limitation of the way Dasher works.

Thanks for the input.

Not sure wish you mean by needing ssh? You mean that config is not via hassio addon option/ config ui?
If so, it’s because I simply mapped a volume so that the existing json config file that dasher expects can be used.
If you have the dashio samba addon installed then no ssh/terminal work required… just create dasher dir in config dir and place dasher config.json there.

Based on your comment I would say that dasher addon is for people that either have existing dasher config they want to use (that’s me), or who want to take advantage of the other non-ha related dasher capabilities.

For anyone else who just wants to work with HA they should probably use the @danimtb plugin.

1 Like

Quote from the second line in your announcement post above… ”you will need SSH access to your hassio host”

Ah right. Got you.
It’s needed to scan for buttons to get their MAC address - same as what findbutton.py does in dashio. If you have other way to scan e.g. DHCP lease log on your router the no need for that.

1 Like

Got you too :slight_smile:

I do indeed get them from the router and set up DHCP reservation before getting to HA.

Hi all!
I have just created a post introducing Dasshio.

I have also updated the Readme documentation inside dasshio repository!

Thank you so much for your feedback :smiley: I hope you find dasshio useful!

Nice! Although I think dasshio is easy to use as you can configure your Dash via web interface.

But I agree with you: Choice is good

Thank you for sharing! :smiley:

I have a couple Dash buttons working successfully in Home Assistant. Can someone explain how to eliminate the daily email from Amazon Replenishment telling me to complete the order process.
Thanks

I use the parental controls on my router to stop them having any access to the internet

They eventually stop on their own after a week or two, IIRC.

Either do as @klogg suggested or set up a gmail account with associated Amazon account just for them and don’t sync it anywhere.

I do both :slight_smile:

Thank you for your thoughts, I’ve had the Dash buttons working for months (6?) and they still come. I currently have them filtered to the delete folder but I thought there was a way to stop the buttons completely from talking to Amazon. I will look into the parental control feature.
Thanks

If your router doesn’t have parental control features or you want/need to manage access from HA directly take a look at this topic (arpspoof):

I have my FingBox doing this for me but I’m thinking of moving it off the cloud and into HA.

I dont know what kind of router you have, but after I register a button, I create a WAN_OUT rule on my Edge Router that drops all traffic for that device.

I use dasher. On my netgear router, I used the parental control feature (disney circle) to block internet access to all my dash devices. It works.

Rather than create a new topic, I’m wondering if someone here can confirm for me whether or not Amazon Dash buttons will still work in 2020 with Home Assistant. I don’t see anywhere that says it won’t, but before I take the plunge and buy some off eBay I’m curious if I can get these working.

As far as I know, any existing Amazon Dash buttons that were ever connected to the internet after (I think…) 2018 or early 2019 or so have had the firmware updated and can’t work with HA using any third party software. That’s when Amazon made the buttons obsolete.

I found that out the hard way when suddenly my one (luckily) dash button stopped working. On investigation I found that Amazon obsoleted the buttons and there was literallyn nothing you could do but throw them away.

But if they had never been connected to the Amazon servers (or if you knew about the need before they were intentionally broken by the firmware update) then there was a workaround to make them keep working.

So buyer beware.

@finity Any ideas where those work arounds are to be found? Plenty of unused buttons on Ebay. Only article I’ve found (after 5 minutes searching) is for pre-2016 buttons.

Here is the docker image I used (github link).

There was a post a while back that talked about what was necessary to keep them working but I can’t find it.

again, if the buttons haven’t been connected to the internet to receive the “bricking update” you can just use the amazon-dash software to make them work as described at the github link above.

https://blog.christophermullins.com/2019/12/20/rescue-your-amazon-dash-buttons/