đŸ”č Card-mod - Add css styles to any lovelace card

I a not that expert in CSS :frowning:

Can I change it with the card mod? just the dividers, I don’t want to change others (e.g., secondary text color).

hello I asked if you could take a look at my problem, I think it is some conflict, as I have already indicated, the error message occurs even if in my configuration I do not use the style command.

Because there are other ways to style elements using card-mod https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod#mod-card

You’re giving me very little to work with. I don’t use the button-card, so I have no idea how or why it works. Especially since I can only guess on how you have tried to configure it

Conflict with what?
My crystal ball is away being polished today.

Either way, the code that produces that error runs ONLY if there’s a style: in some element.

Thanks for your answer, @thomasloven
I’m sorry not having given you more details earlier but I was trying to troubleshoot it more in order to isolate the issue the best I can so I can show you a way to reproduce it.

Btw, I tried with a mod-card and the same problem occured.

For now, I’m using your deprecated card-modder which doesn’t have the issue (but I am limited with it because of the shadow-root)

Here is a basic code of it (I have many more CSS rules in my current setup) so you can reproduce it easily (you’ll need custom:button-card for it though)

Note. In the custom:button-card version, I tried to put style and debug_cardmod: true under custom_fields: > slider > card: but it didn’t work at all - I mean, there was none debug like if cardmod wasn’t detecting the style tag 
?

Hope that’ll help you to either help me on this or fix it if that’s something fixable from your side.

# Works well
- type: entities
  show_header_toggle: false
  entities:
    - type: custom:slider-entity-row
      entity: light.office
      full_row: true
      #debug_cardmod: true
      style: |
          ha-slider{
            background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.2);
            border-radius: 15px;
          }

# The buggy one
- type: custom:button-card
  custom_fields: 
    slider: 
      card:
        type: custom:slider-entity-row
        full_row: true
  styles:
    grid:
      - grid-template-areas: '"i n" "i l" "slider slider"'
      - grid-template-columns: 7% 1fr
      - grid-template-rows: 1fr 
  debug_cardmod: true
  style:
    "div#container div#slider slider-entity-row":
      $: |
          ha-slider{
            background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.2)!important;
            border-radius: 15px!important;
          }

Now try to shift both sliders
 The one under the button card will remove the customized CSS rules

Thanks. That lets me se the problem.

Card-mod applies styles after the card has finished rendering the first time, it then assumes there will be no major changes to the card layout during the lifetime of the card.
In the case of button-card, however, it seems it constantly throws away and rebuilds anything in custom_fields->...->card every time anything changes in the render (which would e.g. happen when the hass object updates - i.e. when any state changes in your HA system).

That’s kind of a bad thing, but hard to avoid - while possible. Though it will have to be fixed in button-card (Let me know if you need to discus this @RomRider).
I can imagina a workaround, though; see below.

The reason I was confused was because I thought you had:

custom_fields:
    slider:
      card:
          ... etc...

which shouldn’t work.
However, that’s where mod-card could help you. If you wrap only slider-entity-row in it:

custom_fields:
    slider:
      card:
        type: custom:mod-card
        card:
          ...etc...
          Styles for slider-entity-row goes here
...etc...

Then mod-card will be rebuild along with slider-entity-row and apply new styles every time that happens.

is it possible to change the margins of all cards? I inspected with the browser and I should modify:

.cards > * {
display: block;
margin: 4px 4px 8px;
}

how can i do it?

Apply the style to the wrapping card - which I can only assume one - as described in the readme - which I can only assume that you have read and understood.

read yes, understood less.
I set panel mode: true.

this is what i got with card-modder. I created 3 large cards (the three columns) and then I inserted the cards in each of the three columns. and I got a space between the three vertical columns.
now I would like to simplify the structure simply by setting a greater margin between the cards.

I can get the effect with this code for each card:

style: 'ha-card {margin: 0px 16px 0px 16px;}'

but I would like to set it once for all the cards or set it directly, if possible, in the theme

1 Like

I have been using this card without a problem and it’s awesome.
But now I am stuck.
When I use it in combination with conditional cards the change doesn’t apply until I reload the page.
What am I doing wrong?
Sorry, my english is poor, and thanks

- type: custom:mod-card
          ha-card {
          overflow: hidden;
          --ha-card-box-shadow: none;
          border-radius: 10px;
          margin-left: 10px;
          margin-right: 10px;
          margin-bottom: 10px;
          box-shadow: 0px 4px 5px 4px rgb(66, 74, 82); 
          }
        card:

type: custom:vertical-stack-in-card
          cards:

- type: picture-elements
              image: /local/images/controlaire/controlaire_entero.png
              elements:       
                - type: conditional
                  conditions:
                    - entity: switch.airedorm_power 
                      state: "on"
                  elements:
                    - type: image
                      entity: switch.airedorm_modocool
                      tap_action: 
                        action: toggle
                      state_image:
                        "on": /local/images/controlaire/cool_on.png
                        "off": /local/images/controlaire/cool_off.png
                      style:
                        top: 5%
                        left: 40%
                        width: 15%

Thomas
 I asked you a question on teh auto-entities thread about card not refreshing when an entity disappears (I am using geo_location entities which can be added and removed and I get a yellow band on the card. This has only just started happening with latest auto-entities card or maybe Home Assistant frontend has changed). Anyway, I was wondering if wrapping the card using card-mod might force it to refresh when a state changes
?? Or if you have any other solutions.

Problem solved going back to card-modder.

Thank you Thomas for your work and dedication!

You’d have to put your cards in a stack, and apply styles to that using mod-card.

Or you could try putting a gap-card between your cards: https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-gap-card

vertical-stack-in-card has a ha-card element, so using mod-card on that won’t work.

Mod-card is not the solution, it’s the workaround for the few cases where the good method doesn’t work.

1 Like

I can’t see that that could help
 not sure what may be causing your problems, really

Oh yes, your workaround works perfectly - a big thank you @thomasloven !!

@thomasloven
Only problem that drives me nuts is that “auto-refresh” which makes inspecting elements with a browser dev tools impossible 

Yep. That’s the very same problem. Button-card, not card-mod.

You can pause javascripts in the “Sources” tab, perhaps

I would really appreciate an example of how you style the slider-entity-row, because Ive tried the exact config, and cant get anything to change in the slider

would love to style the margin to the card border (0px), the color, and the background of the slider

I’m having trouble styling vertical-stack-in-card. It contains a ha-card, so I thought I could style it like anything else but it doesn’t appear to be working.

Here are two test cards I set up to demonstrate it:

type: 'custom:vertical-stack-in-card'
  ha-card {
   border: 5px outset rgb(50,50,50);
  }
cards:
    title: Lights
    entities:
      - light.bedside_light
      - light.porch_light
    title: Switches
    entities:
      - switch.remote_plug_1
      - switch.remote_plug_2

type: entities
  ha-card {
   border: 5px outset rgb(50,50,50);
  }
entities:
  - entity: light.bedside_light
  - entity: light.porch_light
title: Lights (Outside of stack)

Here is what they look like:

You can see that only the one not in the vertical-stack-in-card has the border applied.

Normally, the the Chrome Developer Tools, I can see a card-mod element added to the DOM under the ha-card element when it is working correctly but this isn’t appearing for the one in the vertical-stack-in-card. It does show up if I use card-mod on nested cards in the stack.

Is there something wrong with my config?