šŸ”¹ Card-mod - Super-charge your themes!

themes are in /config/themes/[insertthemenamehere]/[themename].yaml

I know where the themes are.
My question still is can I override variables set by a theme using card-mod without having to edit the theme???
I donā€™t want to edit the theme in any way as when a theme is updated I need to edit again etc.

Yeah, just do something like

style: |
  * {
    --theme-var: mything
  }

on each card. You could also use card-mod theming to override the standard theming. And you can use YAML comments to comment out the old vars.

so there is no Global option to do this and I have to do it on every card?

how? I donā€™t see how to do that. I also canā€™t seem to get card-mod to hide the header. I think all the examples on the wiki are actually editing the theme. I donā€™t want to edit the theme, I want to override it.

A theme is the global option.

You are not understanding me.

I want to be able to set an option to override a theme variable (with another variable) so I can switch themes and that override will be used. So for instance for every theme I use I want to be sure the paper-item-color is overridden by the state-icon-color specified in that theme.
Is what I am trying to do really that difficult to understand.

Sorry, itā€™s hard when someone doesnā€™t get me too. Is there anything you have against editing themes?

Yes!!!
If a dev updates the theme or if I download a new theme I have to edit it again. Whereas if I can just set it so a variable will ALWAYS be overridden with a different variable itā€™s job done once.

as an example, I have a ThemeOverride.js file that has this in it:

document.documentElement.style.setProperty('--ha-card-border-radius', '10px');

and in configuration.yaml

frontend:
  extra_module_url:
    - /local/ThemeOverride.js

So every theme is overridden and I get a 10px rounding on every card regardless of what the theme specifies. I just want to be able to do this with variables as well instead of editing individual themes.

Consider making a new thread for this, or making a feature request for it.

So if you already have a solution that does this with another variableā€¦ what was all this about?

Well I wanted to know if I could do this in card-mod and I have failed to make it work in the js file so as of now I have no solution.

1 Like

Well document.documentElement.style.setProperty('--paper-item-icon-color', 'var(--state-icon-color)'); (without the : between var and ( you accidentally added in one post) should do it, if itā€™s possibleā€¦

1 Like

Yeah I did have thatā€¦ Thanks. Iā€™ll try your suggestion.

Iā€™m trying to use card-mod to replace the hide header component of custom header, I got this from the cookbook which reduces the header but still shows all the view buttons and chevrons etc;

no-header:
  card-mod-theme: no-header
  card-mod-root: |
    app-toolbar {
      display: none;
    }

Can anyone point me in the right direction to completely hide the header?

@Pirol62 gave me the solution on the custom header thread.

card-mod-theme: night
    app-toolbar {
    }
    app-header {
    }

PS: app-toolbar is obsolete. Will be hided anyway:
So:

card-mod-theme: night
    app-header {
    }

will be sufficiant.

2 Likes

OK Iā€™ll remove then, thanks again.

document.documentElement.style.setProperty('--ha-card-border-radius', '10px');
document.documentElement.style.setProperty('--paper-item-icon-color', 'var(--state-icon-color)');
document.documentElement.style.setProperty('--paper-item-icon-active-color', 'var(--state-icon-active-color)');

Seems to have not worked

Hello, due to my limited English I am not very clear if it is possible to hide the following and add a black background to the header:

If you look at the cookbook in the wiki https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace-card-mod/wiki/Theme-cookbook this is supposed to remove the chevrons(arrows).

tabs-to-edge:
  card-mod-theme: tabs-to-edge
  card-mod-root-yaml: |
    paper-tabs$: |
      .not-visible {
      }

You can add;
app-header-background-color: rgb(0,0,0) to your theme to change the header background color.

Hope this helps.

1 Like