Cast platform taking > 10 seconds to load, cannot use TTS to Google Home

I’m on Hass.io 0.58.1 and trying to get some audio going out to a Google Home Mini. I’m triggering the audio successfully and it’s building the .mp3 file, but I guess something is wrong with cast for me and that audio never gets from Home Assistant to the Google Home.

What can I try to troubleshoot?

The only thing I see about it in the log is:

2017-12-03 23:26:31 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Setup of platform cast is taking over 10 seconds.

I’ve tried rebooting the server as well as the Pi itself.

My configuration.yaml has:

tts:
  - platform: google
    cache: true
    cache_dir: /tmp/tts
    time_memory: 300

I’ve also tried variations of that including just the tts: and also tts: with platform google but without the other parameters.

Are your cast devices showing up as media_player entities? There was an issue with Chromecast that was resolved in the .59 update.

Yes, media_player entities. Is that what they should be doing, or should I expect to see something different?

It’s media_player.bathroom_speaker and here are the attributes showing up in States:

volume_level: 0
is_volume_muted: false
media_content_id: http://192.168.1.105:8123/api/tts_proxy/0c69c37296ed71611ac517d7c93e0d2b34f0333e_en_-_google.mp3
media_duration: 2.568
media_position: 0
media_position_updated_at: 2017-12-04T06:05:33.317808+00:00
app_id: CC1AD845
app_name: Default Media Receiver
friendly_name: Bathroom speaker
supported_features: 21437

Not sure about that 0 volume_level, but the device itself is set to an audible volume.

I’ll be damned, the volume_level is actually the issue. Set it through the service dev tools using:

domain: media_player
service: volume_set
data: { “entity_id”:“media_player.bathroom_speaker”, “volume_level”:“0.6” }

And then it casts properly. Can’t believe this ended up being the answer.

now there is a bigger issue in 0.59 where TTS doesn’t work on cast devices at all.

So I see :frowning:

But at least my cast devices are discovered now!

are you manually discovering them? I had the same issue and once I let the discovery component find them it worked well.

Manual. I don’t use auto because I run HomeAssistant in a Docker container.

So this is a widespread issue? I was wondering what was happening to mine.