Casting Spotify to Speaker Group

Hey Guys

Totally new to home assistant, got it just to control speaker group volume by voice and managed to get that setup with the help of a post on here.

Now another issue I have is google seems to fail whenever casting a playlist to a speaker group. I figured I could create a script and add the scene into the routine for when I come home. That way the routine would include triggering the casting of my spotify playlist to my speaker group, instead of saying “Sorry, something went wrong. When you’re ready…”

I managed to create it, but it seems to setup a cast to the speaker group independent of spotify (default media player is shown as casting to my speaker group). And then spotify starts playing but on my device rather than on the speaker group.

Any help would be appreciated!

can u share your group config and script?
your speakers are google stuff?
you run the spotify integration?

1. try running a script that plays a local file (from media folder home assistant) to speaker group.
  2. try adding an empty call to your speaker group, delay your script for 2 secs and then do the spotify thing

Thanks for the reply

Yup my speakers are a google group (although I did create a universal media player of all my speakers to enable voice control as per HowTo: Control Group Volume on Google Home / Nest Speakers (SONOS patent lawsuit) - #5 by capstan1)

So what I was doing is trying to use a similar method to create a scene in google home that I could add to routine.

So under configuration>automation and scenes I created a script first using call service media player play_media with the entity being my speaker group and then another action with the same except the entity was spotify.

The first action creates a connection to the speaker group with the source showing as default media player on google home, and the second plays spotify but off my phone rather than to the speaker group

I don’t have any local files on home assistant yet but I will give that a go thanks for your help

For spotcast you need to use theSpotcast component. The media_player.play_media can’t play Spotify

1 Like

Ah thats where my issue probably lies, will look into this later and give it another try. Thanks!

This fixed my issue. Thank you for your help