Change from wifi to ethernet

Hello

I’m using a Pi4 which is running Home Assistant. I had issues during installation when I was using ethernet, never got to the bottom of it. When I tried installation it worked straight away. Odd!

The HA app seems very slow and often doesn’t connect, which I’m assuming is the wifi? Anyways, I’d like to change to ethernet cable and see how that runs but I just can’t figure out how to to it. I can only find old threads, which don’t seem to help me.

Cheers

Ignore the topic title, this works for all network settings:

1 Like

Thank you for that, I’ll have a read of that later.

I’m yet to try but just wondering, does this remove the wifi credentials or do I do this manually?

If you don’t want wifi include that in your USB config. Though I would make sure the Ethernet is working first.

1 Like

Sorry but your “wifi” is ethernet too. The distinction you are making is wired vs wireless

Okay, so when I upload the new config, that will write over my original config file. @tom_l

That’s why my title states ‘ethernet’ @mutt

What?
Show me the RFC that says that. Even if you can the common use is so vast as to make it obsolete:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=is+wifi+a+type+of+ethernet&oq=is+wifi+a+type+of+ethernet

1 Like

@exiledyorkie, no, your title says “Change from WiFi to ethernet” implying that they are different but but not for the medium.

@tom_l - Okay I was loose in my terminology too. But the uses for RJ45 connection is most commonly for a cat cable be it cat4 or cat6a etc. Which is most commonly used for ip traffic over ethernet. Wireless under 802 standards is most commonly used as a transport medium for ip over ethernet.

Common usage does not always “make it right” ie the use of the term “irony” or pink vs magenta.
I’m sure you can think of similar cases in your field of specialty.

My wife worked in the pharmaceutical industry (International drug trials) and was constantly running into problems in the US where “most assumed” that ‘Caucasian’ meant white. Whereas it also covers large groups of Indians (from India, NOT Native Americans, which usage would be pejorative anyway).

My issue in general is with ambiguity and this was.

Edit: And if you want to tell network technicians and engineers that they need to use different terms for their mediums/tranports/layers/and protocols (these guys do know the difference) then good luck with that.

Exiled - saw your post, comment would be unnecessary and ‘pedantic’

1 Like

@Mutt

Do you think most of the general public will be confused by saying, wifi to ethernet? I think not, which implies you’re taking time out of your day to be pedantic, rather than just helping with the issue.

I’m more than happy to be educated on a subject, if you’d tried to help with the original post but you came here, read the post and then chose to be pedantic about how most people refer to the term wifi.

It is an old topic, but don’t think I should start a new one… I am unable to find the “step 4” int the install instructions… Could you provide a direct link or something?
I also want to move my HASS from wifi to wired…

You can now set up your Ethernet and Wifi connections in the Supervisor / System panel. In the Host box click the CHANGE button.

1 Like

Ha! Cool, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried to change from wifi to wired but as I disabled the wifi ethernet did not start up automatically even if it was enabled. Now i cannot reach homeassistant as it doesnt connect. However i tried by unplugging the SD-card and diskinternals linux reader to try to edit a config file but i do not know which file to edit…any ideas?