Change in OpenZwave...now what?

In previous versions Hass used python_openzwave, and I’ve been manually changing it to the git flavor of OpenZwave at every upgrade for the workaround for my thermostat. Now Hass is using its own homeassistant-pyozw, and of course no joy from my thermostat’s humidity sensor. Any ideas how I can work around this?

1 Like

What? Why did HA fork pyozw?

1 Like

Here it is: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/18268

Looking at fixing some bugs, must be having problems pushing this upstream. Looks to be rolling out for 0.83?

So you can still just install the new homeassistant-pyozw pip package using your own openzwave install right?

You might need to roll the patches from the master branch to the dev branch if thats the one you are using and HA requires those patches.

Are lol, so this is because they forked openzwave to add the barrier class from the dev branch back to master. This means that I no longer need to maintain my own branch of openzwave :slight_smile:

If I were you, I would try and get your patch into the hass branch of openzwave :slight_smile:

That makes sense. The patch is simply processing a message that’s erroneously reported as a different type as the correct type…it’s like 2 lines of code. I’ll try and dig the patch out and submit it.

I’m not sure why the barrier class patch isn’t being rolled back into master. I did manage to have a patch merged into master to fix some compilation bugs so I know they are still accepting code changes…

Anyway, this unblocks a bunch of issues and we can all share this common branch until openzwave releases their new version :slight_smile:

Man I want to jump on board here. When I first started using Home Assistant, I used the dev branch to get barrier support. Fixed my garage door and thermostats but was terrible for several other things. @winter helped me get my own fork of the master branch of openzwave with barrier support that I have been using successfully for several months. I have pulled my hair out trying to do the same thing with thermostats and never figured it out.

Looking to help, get help, do whatever to get them working.

1 Like