Change your rgb lights color according to spotify album background

I’ve did not use it from some time, it probalby needs update to recent HA version. I will probably work on restoring it, not sure when.

Thanks for the swift response. I’ve been able to overcome the issues above by including an empty services.yaml in the custom component folder, and adding a color_recognizer: in the configuration.yaml.

Now it has issues at startup due to being unable to download scipy:

No module named 'scipy'

I’m going to keep working on it…

Scipy is not installable on hassio, try to install it using https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons-development/tree/master/custom_deps

I think this should work ( custom deps config ) :

{
  "pypi": [
    "numpy",
    "scipy"
  ],
  "apk": [
    "lapack-dev",
    "gfortran",
    "musl-dev",
    "g++"
  ]
}

Thanks for the suggestion, still no joy. I think I’ve found another way to achieve this, so I’ll give that a try next.

Error while executing automation automation.chromecast_ambilight. Unknown error for call_service at pos 1: 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/automation/__init__.py", line 393, in action
    await script_obj.async_run(variables, context)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 131, in async_run
    await self._handle_action(action, variables, context)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 210, in _handle_action
    action, variables, context)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/script.py", line 299, in _async_call_service
    context=context
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 89, in async_call_from_config
    domain, service_name, service_data, blocking=blocking, context=context)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1150, in async_call
    self._execute_service(handler, service_call))
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1174, in _execute_service
    await self._hass.async_add_executor_job(handler.func, service_call)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/color_recognizer/__init__.py", line 32, in turn_lights_to_recognized_color
    colors = ColorRecognizer(hass, config[DOMAIN], call_data.pop(ATTR_URL)).best_colors()
  File "/config/custom_components/color_recognizer/__init__.py", line 159, in best_colors
    return SpotifyBackgroundColor(image, image_processing_size=DEFAULT_IMAGE_RESIZE).best_color(k=4, color_tol=5)
  File "/config/custom_components/color_recognizer/__init__.py", line 105, in best_color
    from scipy.cluster.vq import kmeans
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'scipy'

Would you mind sharing the other method you were able to achieve this with hassio?

Apologies, I hate it when you stumble upon a thread where someone has the same issue as you and they sign off with “it’s ok, I got it working”, whilst giving no explanation!

Here’s what I’ve been using instead:

Ensure you read the thread in full as the user mate2002 has an a link to their github repo where it’s tidied up a bit.

Pros are that you can provide more than one light and it’ll provide each one with a colour from what’s playing, cons are that it requires appdaemon and it isn’t as straight forward as an automation.

In order to get the script to run properly, I had to use the following config in the AppDaemon addon:

{
  "disable_auto_token": false,
  "system_packages": [
    "libcurl",
    "zlib-dev",
    "libjpeg-turbo-dev",
    "libwebp",
    "tk",
    "openjpeg",
    "python3-dev",
    "curl-dev",
    "gcc",
    "g++"
  ],
  "python_packages": [
    "pip==19.0.3",
    "pycurl",
    "Pillow"
  ]
}

There are probably a few components there that are no longer required, worth a bit of a play.

Let us know if you have any trouble getting this working.

1 Like

Well I’ll be, it worked! Thank you so much, I’ve been wrestling with this for way too long.

Happy to help!

There are definitely some packages in that list that aren’t required. When I get the time, I’ll work out which ones to remove and report back here.

1 Like

I am trying this with appdeamon too, but I can’t get it working. My hassio fails to install g++ every time.

I have the same issue since updating from 0.97 to 0.97.1

Ok, there’s an update to AppDaemon that fixes this issue. If you don’t see it available in the Hass.io tab, go to the Addd-on store, press the refresh button, wait a minute or two then go into the AppDaemon add on and it should show the option to update.

However… There’s a new issue, at least for me:

2019-08-10 10:58:10.699066 INFO AppDaemon: Loading App Module: /config/appdaemon/apps/tv_lights_sync.py
2019-08-10 10:58:10.742953 WARNING AppDaemon: ------------------------------------------------------------
2019-08-10 10:58:10.743103 WARNING AppDaemon: Unexpected error loading module: /config/appdaemon/apps/tv_lights_sync.py:
2019-08-10 10:58:10.743460 WARNING AppDaemon: ------------------------------------------------------------
2019-08-10 10:58:10.747003 WARNING AppDaemon: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py", line 2026, in check_app_updates
    self.read_app(mod["name"], mod["reload"])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py", line 1809, in read_app
    self.modules[module_name] = importlib.import_module(module_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 728, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/config/appdaemon/apps/tv_lights_sync.py", line 5, in <module>
    from PIL import Image
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 95, in <module>
    from . import _imaging as core
ImportError: Error loading shared library libtiff.so.5: No such file or directory (needed by /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so)

I think I have it working again, as well as the AppDaemon update mentioned above; a new system package, tiff is required. My Config now looks like the following:

{
  "disable_auto_token": false,
  "system_packages": [
    "libcurl",
    "zlib-dev",
    **"tiff",**
    "libjpeg-turbo-dev",
    "libwebp",
    "tk",
    "openjpeg",
    "python3-dev",
    "curl-dev",
    "gcc",
    "g++"
  ],
  "python_packages": [
    "pip==19.0.3",
    "pycurl",
    "Pillow"
  ]
}

Everything’s restarted OK, but I won’t have a chance to properly test it until later. Hopefully this fixes it.

I Will have a look at this. I was on version 0.95 and updates to 0.97 Because it didn’t work. The appdeamon update makes sense.

I can confirm it works now. Do you know if it is possible to make a switch in home assistant to enable and disable the app from appdeamon.

Glad it’s working again!

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that question. Mine is triggered by an automation. I have it set up so that if the sun is below the horizon and I am playing the Spotify app on one of my Shield TV’s it engages. I’m also thinking about adding an input_boolean into the mix for a manual override.

Yes, indeed I have already tried the input boolean. In condition:, the same way as on Github. Only it doesn’t seem to work for me. If the input boolean is off it stil turns on and changes the lights. Any idea Why?

I provided you with some totally erroneous information in my last post, it isn’t automation-driven at all.

This is the condition of my apps.yaml in appdaemon:

tv_lights_sync:
    module: tv_lights_sync
    class: tv_lights_sync
    ha_url: http://hassio/homeassistant
    media_player: "media_player.spotify"
    photo_attribute: "entity_picture"
    condition:
        entity: sensor.living_room_shield_tv_app_name
        state: "Spotify"
    lights:
      - "light.hue_lightstrip"
      - "light.nanoleaf"
      - "light.living_room_lamps"
      - "light.drinks_shelf"
      - "light.kitchen_floor"
      - "light.death_ball"
      - "light.lounge_ceiling_spots"

The sensor in the condition is as follows:

living_room_shield_tv_app_name:
            value_template: "{{ state_attr('media_player.living_room_shield_tv', 'app_name') }}"
            friendly_name: Living Room Shield TV App Name

So basically when the Living Room Shield TV is playing the Spotify app, those lights specified will change colour. I honestly thought I’d updated this to include the sun’s horizon position… obviously not!

I’ll have a go at this later and report back.

This is mine and it doesn’t seem to work do you know why? if I turn off the input_boolean it still changes the colours

tv_lights_sync:
  module: tv_lights_sync
  class: tv_lights_sync
  ha_url: http://hassio/homeassistant
  media_player: "media_player.small_tv"
  condition: 
  entity: "input_boolean.album_art_sync"
  state: "on"
  lights:
    - "light.hue_color_lamp_1"
    - "light.led_strip_bed"
    - "light.led_strip_bench"
    - "light.desk_light"

All looks OK, except for the indentation of entity and state in `condition. Try fixing that first.

you are right, should have seen that. it works now