Changing Aeon Tech from Basic Set to Sensor_Binary Set

So I finally got the Door/Window Sensor to be recognized. From what I can tell in the log file for OZW the state is being returned in a Basic Report format. I think that I should be receiving it as Sensor_Binary Report. From what I can find on the web I should be able to change the sensor so that it sends in binary. I am having no luck finding out how this is accomplished. 2 questions, has anyone had luck doing this or is there a way to get HA to recognize the Basic Report and give me an indication of state? BTW: The tamper alarm gets reported just fine in HA.

Check out this Tutorial: compiling open-zwave-control-panel

In open-zwave-control-panel you will have an option to change the report types similar to the screen shot I have on this post. Very similar problems in this post too. Aeon Labs Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor

2 Likes

You mean you have them working but only after pressing the z-wave button after each HA restart?? The link that joekieffer provided will give you more insight. I had the exact same problem but now all my sensors are working within HA and need no further tweaks even after a PI reboot.

One thing I must mention again because it has me curious. Initially, these sensors did not work within HA unless I pressed the z-wave button on the back of each of these devices. Only then would HA report open/close events. However…

Even without pushing this button and watching the log, open/close events were triggered and being logged within the home-assistant log. The values logged were <0> for closed and <255> for open. Obviously, HA (and the Open Z-wave control panel) did not use these events.

All these same sensors worked within Smartthings and after review the Device Type for these sensors I learned that ST uses Basic Set (bit 5 or 32) not Basic Report. (bit 4 or 16) Below are the two groovy functions in question and I noticed that function basicv1.BasicReport never was called when the sensor was opened/closed. .basicv1.BasicSet on the other hand, always was called.

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport cmd)
    {
    	log.debug "Event zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport"
        sensorValueEvent(cmd.value)
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicSet cmd)
    {
    	log.debug "Event zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicSet  $cmd"
    	sensorValueEvent(cmd.value)
    }

Hi,

Just wanted to update with my saga. After getting open-zwave-control-panel compiled and running on a Ubuntu VM and my RPi I could not get it to see the Z-stick. Threw in the towel and went back to the python-open-zwave method after 4 late late nights of messing with ozwcp. Turns out that I had to press the ZWave button on the D/W Sensor just before sending the command to set it to binary (16). Once I accomplished this HA can see the state change of the sensor even after restarting HA. I now have a working D/W Sensor and am petitioning my wife to allow me to buy more. Wish me luck with that.