Changing Motion Sensor from "Basic Set (default)" to "Binary Sensor report" or "Alarm report"

I have a Monoprice PIR Multisensor. I am able to get temperature, humidity, and luminance from the sensor. However, I cannot get motion detection from the sensor. In the documentation, I’m instructed to change its configuration from “Basic Set (default)” to “Binary Sensor report” or “Alarm report.” And that this should be possible through the z-wave control panel. I cannot find this setting anywhere. I’ve also tried doing a text search for ‘Basic Set (default)’ in my zwave config itself, and no luck there either. Is there another place I should be looking for this setting?

I tried searching the forum for this issue, but the existing topics are from 2016/2017, and don’t seem to be valid anymore.

The HA documentation you linked is not relevant for many sensors. Most sensors now use the notification command class, which is also indicated in the user documentation (see the table on page 10). There does not appear to be a config option to change the basic set behavior. Basic Set is more often used to control other nodes in the network, for example the PIR could turn on a light automatically w/o involving the z-wave controller.

Instead, you should have a burglar sensor entity that will report the motion detection. It will have a value of 8 for motion detection, 3 for tamper (cover removed) and 0 for no alarm, as indicated in the user guide and the HA z-wave entity docs. There is an example of creating your own binary sensor from a template.

If you don’t have that burglar entity, post the Node section for this node from your zwcfg*.xml file, and a listing of all the sensors for the node.

Thanks for the explanation! I do have the burglar sensor entity, but it’s not picking up any motion. There may be something up with the hardware then.

It’s also possible the documentation is just wrong. I have a Monoprice door sensor which has wrong information in its manual, so I wouldn’t be surprised. What kind of device his HA actually reporting it as? It sounds like it might be a Zooz 4-1 Sensor.

It’s a Vision sensor. And I just figured it out. The motion sensor does not work without the back cover on. There’s a button on the inside that the back cover presses, and if that button isn’t pressed the motion detection does not work. Since the back cover wasn’t on when I added the device, it reported the burglar as 254 (deep sleep) instead of 3 (tamper).