Cheap smart plug for $15

Have you considered the Broadlink devices ?

I have several, they’re WiFi, they work right out of the box with HA, they’re cheap and they don’t need to “phone home” even for initial configuration (android app needed though) :

• SC1 is just the switch (no plug) to directly attach a device (I have those for a small heater and a vent), they go for under €6 on aliexpress
  • MP1 is a 4 plugs, independantly remote controlled, under €20
  • SP3 mini is a small individual plug, for under €10.

Both let any standard plug connect to it (but no earth connector)

I don’t have those for very long, so I can’t say about reliability.

2 Likes

They work with the Tuya app, but to get the local_key is a pain. I suggest everyone send feedback within the Tuya app asking them to display the local_key under Device Info within app.

I did, i think if enough people ask they would add it

Just to update this thread… after buying a four-pack of these Amysen Wi-Fi Smart Plug for $45 (≈$12 each!) I went splunking for Hassio integration. By default, the plugs come with the “Smart Life” app.

After a month of managing these plugs outside of HA, I stumbled on a hidden bit of intel: Smart Life is nothing more than a wrapper around Tuya, which is natively supported by HA. I downloaded the Tuya app and re-mapped the plugs to Tuya (away from Smart Life), added the config details into configuration.yaml, restarted HA and… done! Easiest thing I’ve done today.

Also - according to the same above documentation, I could have left them mapped to Smart Life and simply added an optional flag, but I already did the remap, so I didn’t try that flag.

Good luck!

i got the Amysen plug. followed their mini booklet instruction. Got the Smartlife app the manual suggested and everything is working fine. my Samsung SmartThings does not recognize it, no surprised.

Then i got the Tuya app. Shockingly it is exactly identical to the Smart Life app. i tried to pair another Amysen outlet to Tuya app, it does not work. could you please help in further detail? i read your description and think i missed a step or too. please help. thanks!

update----> tried the 2nd time with the Tuya app and it works! no issues with HA now