Cheap wifi speaker as tts player

My LinkPlay speaker was pinging an external IP address every two seconds (I mentioned this in my original post). I didn’t need to compare that behavior to anything else to conclude it was undesirable.

The method I used to suppress the pinging also eliminated its ability to access external sites by name. However, that was an acceptable tradeoff, considering it is mostly used for playing local media.

My original post is now over a year old. Maybe there’s a recent firmware update that, among other things, eliminates the 2-second ping. Or maybe not. Either way, for my current purposes, it works fine as-is.

Hi Robi, can you help me? I need support on flashing firmware on Linkplay A31 v04, cannot access it´s web server anymore after an online upgrade. Current firmware (4.2.8822) made the module useless! Thanks in advance, best regards.

V4 versions don’t have a web interface at all. Otherwise does it work?

Yes, this one is a v04 and used to have a functional web server, now when trying to access 10.10.10.254 it says " Access Error: Site or Page Not Found Cannot open URL". Most of the httpapi commands seems to work, but there´s no response using the Audiocast app.

Do you have a backup copy of your original firmware?

I downloaded an image from http://s000.linkplay.com:8020/wifi_audio_image_7688/

But I don´t have the ORIGINAL FIRMWARE

Try updating with the tools from here.

Looks great, Robi! I´ll give it a try, then will tell you how it went. Thanks a lot!

Worked like a charm, so many thanks, Robi! From brick to Spotify connected, thanks again! Is there a better than others/recommended firmware version?

Should use at least v4.2.8020 is to have good multiroom capability.

1 Like

Well, there´s still a problem… I have 2 Audiocast M5 devices, both running 4.2.8920.0 firmware version. Only one of them is accessible (and configurable) via web server, the other one still says " Access Error: Site or Page Not Found Cannot open URL". Only upgraded with Robi´s method the new_uImage file, perhaps need to overwrite the uboot file? Is there a tool for that?

As already wrote:

What you see for one of them is what was cached by the browser from a previous version.
You don’t need a web interface for linkplay units.

Browser cache got me confused, you´re right, Robi! Anyways, when I said v04 in my previous posts, I was referring to the board version. Always thankful, Robi!

I would appreciate your advice about the possibility of upgrading my LinkPlay speaker’s firmware.

Would it be fair to say that if I cannot find any mention of August WS300 in the firmware link you provided, or in a more recent listing (posted 2020-11-23), that there are no firmware updates for it?

Or do LinkPlay devices have enough hardware commonality that one firmware version supports many devices?

Unfortunately not. Each manufacturer implements its own MCU, which controls functionality of buttons, audio inputs and outputs - this is different for every model.
There is a common part which contains only the Linkplay module firmware which is common, but I’ve not seen so far a firmware update which addresses separately only this.

1 Like

@Moonbase59 What is that German surplus retailer?

Great info here! Thanks to everyone for sharing, I would also like to integrate my Jam speakers into my Home Assistant.

As far as that ping goes, I think it may just be an OS version check - though I don’t know why it would have to be every 2 seconds. I know it does send some kind of info to the manufacturer as the speakers will on occasion let me know that there is a firmware update available… securing your network however is never a bad thing.

Sorry for the late response, haven’t been here for a while. I bought those speakers from pearl.de, for around 4 Euros each, and they’re still in use.

Since these are surely not available anymore, any SqueezeLite-compatible USB-powered audio device should work that doesn’t exceed the Pi Zero’s USB power limits. I remember it needed some Linux tweaking to get the HID volume controls working, though.

Would anyone have the firmware for these devices somewhere ? the link is dead and I flashed the wrong one by accident… any help would be really appreciated :slight_smile: