CHIP Protocol. Is Zigbee already obsolete?

Whenever my wifi devices go down I can just unplug and plug in again.
Never had to reset one.

Hue however… Wow… that took me hours.
I even had to call support

For similar type of devices 433 Mhz are usually the cheapest, compared to Wifi, BLE or Z*
But 433 Mhz have their issues, too (no encryption, usually one way communication). Obviously, a hub is required.

I don’t think Zigbee bulbs use less power than other bulb types as, except for communication chips, most of the internals are similar to other technologies (bar cheap knockouts).

However, for battery powered devices, Wifi is no match to Zigbee (BLE or even Z-wave) in regard of battery life (Wifi is inherently power hungry and usually relies on a secondary MCU to wakeup the Wifi chipset to be able to communicate).

For always connected devices, then Wifi is great, with reasonable range (most of the IOT devices are on the 2.4 Ghz network and it is far easier to mesh with Wifi than other technologies), price and response time.

Even as such, nothing beats copper :wink: but that means it is also quite difficult for cabling an older house.

I’ll take your word for it.

Certainly can. Though a lot of that can be put down to firmware. There have been some shokingly bad Tasmota releases.

Otherwise, CHIP is a great idea for standardisation. It will definately will not make Zigbee obsolate. It will just make Wifi device integration easier for all participants. It is like the idea of MQTT. Nobody complained about MQTT that it will kill Zigbee. :wink:

2 Likes

No it doesn’t sound cool. It is contrary to the whole ethos of home assistant. I want all my automations in one place and logged in one place, not stored in a light bulb or motion sensor!

1 Like

“oh no! My hallway bulb just died. Now I lost 15 automations”

:laughing:

But perhaps you can buy a cloud backup for each bulb/socket/switch etc for a cheap price of $1-2 per device per month

You are definitely missing the point. Not everyone is technically talented to use Home Assistant, and definitely less people use Home Assistant than Google Home or Amazon Echo devices.
The protocol should reduce the amount of development needed to integrate any CHIP capable device, and anyone could use it as it should be royalty free.
The example of devices communicating to each other exist in both Zigbee and Zwave as well. And it can suplement the need of a central controller. (In Zigbee definitely.)

4 Likes

I agree CHIP should makes thing easier to integrate with HA. However I don’t like the thought of scratching my head at 3 in the morning because I forgot I set an automation direct between two devices and cannot troubleshoot it.

Zigbee uses direct or group messages between motion sensors and ligth or remotes and lights. For example, you don’t need a central controller for most of IKEA Tradfri devices. You can buy kits, remote and bulb, or remote and socket, where you can connect the remote directly to the device without a central controller. But if you have teh central controller you can use that as well to control the socket or bulb.

Zwave has group associations as well. It works similar to the Zigbee example. Most people use it for two or three way switching. If a switch turns on then that will broadcast a group message and devices in the group would turn on as well.

1 Like

The preview is enough to NOT watch this video.

You brag about a 3-ap Unifi setup, but aren’t comfortable enough with it to let a neighboring network anywhere near it? It’s trivial to keep these things from interfering with each other, and the majority of your devices should be 5G by now anyways.

If anything, throwing more devices on your wifi network causes more impact than running a zigbee network in a different channel - unless you’re using a dedicated radio/SSID for it, in which case, again, you’re impacting your wifi network far more than dedicating all radios to a single primary network and letting zigbee do it’s thing.

And if you don’t have the power, or don’t want the power? Zigbee isn’t particularly hard to tune to get good latencies. You’re not going to build a gaming wall out of Zigbee lightbulbs, but it’s certainly enough for motion sensitive lighting, etc.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m currently debating over what hub to buy for my future smart home. I’m from Europe so google home is more convenient over Amazon.

I’m still learning to see if I should take an easy to use solution like ‘Homey’ over home assistant.
https://homey.app/nl-be/explainer/technology/

I want to connect weather station, electric motor for the blinds (433MHz) … This makes homey interesting. I don’t know however how far they are with CHIP?
I am suspicious that they will create something that no hub will be able to use and we’ll need to buy the new version of the hubs. (of course made by the big players)

Oh good lord. I mentioned that because of the 1, 6, 11 rule, which means I am using the entire 2.4GHz spcturm. Zigbee isn’t a neighbour it is a direct interference source across all three channels:

Look at the graph above and explain this trivial method to keep my 2.4GHz devices, of which I have many that do not support 5GHz, from being shat all over by Zigbee?

I’ve set a reminder to reply to the rest of your inaccurate necropost in 4 months. Though I may just lose interest.

1 Like

Hey I just noticed you became a mod! :+1:
Didn’t you have enough on your plate already without volunteering to be a zookeeper? :laughing:

Nice graph ! Oh man. Then add Bluetooth to that and Thread and your local leaking microwave oven and… What a mess.

There’s a real lack of global ISM bands though. Besides the 2.4 and 5GHz bands there’s not much that can be used on a global scale. ZWave went the way of using alternative locally available spectrum, but look at the compatibility-mess this ends up being. And with the deployment of the creepy Amazon Sidewalk network, there’s a good chance that this spectrum is going to be polluted too.

315/433MHz is still relatively free.

Edit: Who the hell calls a new standard “CHIP”. So easy to Google…

1 Like

Add lights (ie. Milight), computer peripherals (mouse/keyboard), game controllers (Xbox 360), S band radar sensors, baby monitors, car alarms, garage doors, radio control devices (mini cars/boats/air drones) and probably a lot more.

None of which I have. And living in a semi rural area neither does anyone near by.

You no fun.

Also just because there might be some interference that is not a reason to add more.

If Chip uses an alternative band I might consider it.

You know what I hate about this thread?

It just adds oxygen to Paul Hibbert.

@tom_l you’re a mod, just close it…

2 Likes