Chromecast Radio with station and player selection

I use 3 Chromecast Audio’s, 2 regular Chromecasts and today I received my Google Home :slight_smile:.
The Chromecast Audio’s and the Google Home are paired to a group. The regular Chromecasts I can use seperate if I like. I use the a regular Chromecast in my bedroom to play radio as part of my wakeup light with radio and lullaby as an example. The other Chromecast I only use for video.

1 Like

I have an old HDMI CC v1 in my bedroom and I am getting another Logitech Hub this week for that room. I’m hoping to integrate it in some script to turn on the AVR and switch to the proper input when I select it in your radio (which I love and use a lot!). I may need a little guidance.

@rpitera Nice, should be fairly easy to setup. I don’t have a Harmony Hub myself. Let me know if you need any asisstance, I can always try :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Thanks - I think I can figure out the scripting of the remote but I’m unsure of where to put the call to the script in your existing script so I may ask you about that once I get it set up.

Too bad that Groupon doesn’t ship outside US or I would suggest it; I got my first hub/remote from them as a refurb three years ago and it works like a champ. I’m actually buying the second refurb from them as well.

Logitech does a great job on refurbs and you may want to see if that avenue is available in your area.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look into it! Currently I’m using a Broadlink RM PRO which works great as well but is missing some functionalities and is less easy to setup.

1 Like

I have no volume slider…

Which version of Hass do you currently run? On 0.42.2 my volume slider suddenly disappeared. After upgrading to 0.42.3 it came back. Haven’t tested 0.42.4 yet.

0.42.3 I have now.

Maybe I miss something, I do not have any entity_id input_slider.volume_radio.state

Did you add this to your configuration?

Input slider:

input_slider: 
  volume_radio:
    name: Volume
    icon: mdi:volume-high
    min: 0
    max: 1
    step: 0.05

View:

group:
 Residence Radio:
  name: Residentie Radio
  entities:
  - input_select.radio_station
  - input_select.chromecast_radio
  - script.radio538
  - input_slider.volume_radio
1 Like

Yep, I forgot a part, working now

1 Like

Isn’t possible to do a group of media_player (which has chromecast audio AND chromecast video) then fire the cast to the group?

So we would have multi room audio to a group containing Chromecast video.

?

No you can’t. You can add multiple players as entity as I mentioned before but they might play out of sync.

Edit: you can’t make a Google group, off course you CAN make a Hass group but that results in the same output as setting multiple entity id’s.

Yep, I was thinking a Hass group of media_player.

You tried it and is out of sync?

Yes, that’s correct.

Thanks its working great, is there anyway I can set one of the radio station as local mp3 file.
I have an mp3 file that on /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant folder and would like to use it
I tried adding path to script file like /homeassistant/./homeassistant/file.mp3 but it didnt worked

Put the mp3 file in your www directory inside the /.homeassistant directory (or create it if it doesn’t exist).
Then use:

media_content_id: /local/your_file.mp3
2 Likes

Have you tried making a group in the Google app? Ive made a group with my two cast, and the group appears in HA. I cant tell if its not in sync as its in two different floors, but they seem not far off… maybe you can try?

/homeassistant/./homeassistant/file.mp3

You would appear to have too many /, also you may need the full path something like …

/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/file.mp3

I can comfirm that chomecast groups play in sync :slight_smile: and it works very well on HA

1 Like

Same here, I have 3 and they’re all perfectly in sync when I cast to the group.

Just to confirm for anyone else who is confused about grouping them, you create the group in the Google Home app, and then the group appears as an additional individual player. So when you want to cast to the group you cast to that player and Bob’s your uncle, synchronised audio.

Or should that be @Bob_NL 's your uncle…

1 Like