Chromecast stopped working

So I hade Home Assistant working and detecting my Chromcasts but it suddenly just stopped. The error I get in the log file says this:

16-03-05 22:42:00 homeassistant.loader: Loaded media_player.cast from homeassistant.components.media_player.cast 16-03-05 22:42:00 homeassistant.components.media_player: Error while setting up platform cast Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 97, in _setup_platform discovery_info) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/cast.py", line 35, in setup_platform import pychromecast File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/__init__.py", line 14, in <module> from . import socket_client File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/socket_client.py", line 22, in <module> from . import cast_channel_pb2 File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/cast_channel_pb2.py", line 11, in <module> from google.protobuf import descriptor_pb2 File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/google/protobuf/descriptor_pb2.py", line 243, in <module> has_default_value=False, default_value=str("", "utf-8"), TypeError: decoding str is not supported 16-03-05 22:42:00 homeassistant.components.media_player: Error while setting up platform cast Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 97, in _setup_platform discovery_info) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/media_player/cast.py", line 35, in setup_platform import pychromecast File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/__init__.py", line 14, in <module> from . import socket_client File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/socket_client.py", line 22, in <module> from . import cast_channel_pb2 File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/pychromecast/cast_channel_pb2.py", line 11, in <module> from google.protobuf import descriptor_pb2 File "/opt/homeassistant/lib/google/protobuf/descriptor_pb2.py", line 243, in <module> has_default_value=False, default_value=str("", "utf-8"), TypeError: decoding str is not supported

But since I haven’t changed any cast-specfic definitions I can’t figure out where to start my troubleshooting. I’ve tried with the following troubleshooting steps:
[ul]
[li]With the discovery component enbled and disabled (when disabled I added the cast-devices by IP)[/li]
[li]Moving to a new config folder and adding my old config just in case something in the installation of pychromecast hade been damaged[/li]
[li]Creating a completly new and empty config folder and no custom config at all[/li][/ul]
Always the same error.

I started with Home Assistant a couple of days ago (and made fantastic head way until now) so there doesn’t seem to be any new releases of Home Assistant or pychromecast, so it doesn’t seem to be caused by any auto-update feature or something like that.

Given that it worked yesterday something must have changed but what? It is not my config (as far as I can tell from my troubleshooting) and there doesn’t seem to have been any new releases recently that can explain this. Could there have been an update to my Chromecasts that might cause this?

Regardless, how the bleep to I troubleshoot this and get my Chromecast devices working again?

You need to install python3 protobuf package:

sudo pip3 install py3-protobuffers

I had the same issue and this fixed it for me.

1 Like

Seems to have solved my Multichromcast problems as well.

Also solved my nest protect sensors not showing either.
Out of curiosity what does that package do?

Also seems to have solved my inability to stop the HASS server.