Chromecasts on separate VLANs

I have segmented by home network (Ubiquiti) into multiple VLANs for proper isolation. HA is sitting on my “main” VLAN, while my Chromecasts are sitting on a VLAN I have called IoT. I am able to integrate the Chromecasts into HA by assigning them static IPs, however Chromecast groups are not accessible as there is no way to statically map them. I believe they are advertised via mDNS.

On my EdgeRouter, I have configured both the reflector and repeaters as follows:

service mdns reflector
service mdns repeater {
  interface eth0.20
  interface eht0.30
}

(eth0.20 and .30 are the virtual interfaces assigned to my main and IoT VLANs)

I am still not seeing any of the Chromecast groups. Has anyone been able to get this working?

Do you have “Block LAN to WAN Multicast and Broadcast Data” selected?

Well, I guess…can you cast to your chromecast devices from the other vlans currently? Is this a Home Assistant only problem, or just a general networking?

Jim,

Thanks for the response. That option is not selected. I am able to broadcast to my Chromecasts from other VLANs. It is just the Chromecast groups that are not appearing in HA.

you need to add this to your config file on your controller. it vary depending if you use a cloud key, ubuntu server, and if you have a usg or usg pro. this is from my usg pro using cloud key

path is - /srv/unifi/data/sites/default/config.gateway.json

downstream should be the vlan that contains the chromecasts

"protocols": {
        "igmp-proxy": {
            "interface": {
                "eth0": {
                    "role": "upstream",
                    "threshold": "1",
                    "alt-subnet": "0.0.0.0/0"
                },
                "eth0.99": {
                    "role": "downstream",
                    "threshold": "1",
                    "alt-subnet": "0.0.0.0/0"
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Thank you… using your suggestion and some further experimenting (along with a “DOH” moment), I was able to get this all working as follows.

First… I had created a cast.yaml file which listed all my Chromecasts. Reading the fine print, I see that this is actually a whitelist which of course blocked the Chromecast group. In my configuration.yaml, I now have:

cast:

I did add the config you suggested and it worked, however on further exerimentation I was able to minimize my EdgeRouter config to the following:

"service": {
    "mdns": {
        "repeater": {
            "interface": "eth0.20",
            "interface": "eth0.30"
        }
    }
 }

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Thanks for this!

I’ve got it also working on my setup. I’ve got a container running on my RancherOS Server.
I used the following config:

{
  "service": {
    "mdns": {
      "repeater": {
        "interface": [
          "eth1",
          "eth1.20"
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}

i switched hassio from raspberry pi to hyper-v and didnt get to see the devices anymore. usb network card was not compatible, all worket mosquitto etc. just not the casts. had unfirewalled the ports etc no succes. changed of nic interface card and they were instantly detected