Coexistence between Zigbee systems (Xiaomi, Philips, IKEA...)

Hi

I’m planning to install some Philips Hue lights, but at the same time I find Xiaomi Aqara switches very convenient. I know both Philips and Xiaomi use Zigbee, and that they’re incompatible and the need their individual bridges, but, is it a problem having two different Zigbee bridges? Do they collide in any way?

Thanks a lot!

They will work fine but IMO the best thing to do is checkout zigbee2mqtt, you can use these devices with each other on the same bridge rather than having numerous bridges throughout the home. Does require a little DIY.

1 Like

As mentioned there are multiple alternatives for you here, you can check out the zigbee2mqtt project, or the ZHA component or the deCONZ component.

I have my Pi running with a ConBee usb stick and deCONZ. I have around 10 xiaomi devices connected along with 8 Ikea trådfri LED spots and the only gateway / hub I have is the ConBee usb stick running via deCONZ. I have no Phillips HUE products but I believe they will connect to deCONZ without problems and so far it has been working flawlessly.

The range is good but I had to plug in a xiaomi smart socket to extend the range for the ikea led spots which is setup in my garage.

4 Likes

I have hue and xiaomi both running on their respective hubs - no clashes.
(It uses 2.4Ghz same as wifi and a bunch of other stuff)
But I am definitely very actively trying to move to zigbee2mqtt

Hue does indeed work well with deconz :+1:, I’ve got some 25 Hue lights, 7 remotes and a few motion sensors connected to my conbee

1 Like

Hi Robban, could you please explain step by step how do you got your success? :slight_smile:
After reading hours in this forum, I havn’t found the last clue to get working the connection between my at conbee /deconz registered devices, and HomeAssistant.

My actual progress are:

1. I have sucessfully installed Home Assitant on Ubuntu
  2. the deconz docker container from https://hub.docker.com/r/marthoc/deconz/ is installed and running
  3. Home Assistant discovered the Conbee at “Integration” (I unlocked the stick succesfull in the web App)
    deCONZ Zigbee Gateway: deCONZ-002xxxxxxxxxxx3
    loaded – added by discovery
  4. By the Deconz WebApp I have registered a Device, in my case a Trust Remote ZYCT-202
  5. Now it should be recognized by Home Assistant out of the box. but it didn’t…
    The same I have noticed with other devices, like my Xiaomi single wireless wall button.

The question ist, what have I to do here?

I’m in the same boat. I can’t seem to get Home Assistant to recognize zigbee events.
I have hassio on an RPI, conbee USB and deconz component.
I’m to the point where I can use the deconz rest api to view sensors and lights but I can’t see any of these in HA.

Can you enable debug per component documentation and post the logs here? If everything is set up the devices should be added properly.

Remember ; remotes are only events in HASS. Check out the documentation for how to use them

1 Like

I enabled debug, but I’m not sure where the logs are.
If it’s the home-assistant.log, I’ll upload in a sec…

Here it is.
HA log

The logs looks ok, nothing weird there. If you press the remote and look in those logs, don’t you see any deconz event?

zigbee2mqtt works wonderfully! I have around 25 Xiaomi devices hooked up to it, 6 Tradfri bulbs and around 10 Philips Hue bulbs. Its great to just have one USB stick plugged into the Pi and not 3 different bridges/hubs.

Great tipp Robban, I will investigate it later. actually I setup all new and check if my problem is persistent.

Do all your devices from different brands create a unique zigbee network. In other words, do devices from different brands communicate with each other and expand the network? Thanks!