Community Hass.io Add-on: Octobox

This add-on is provided by the Community Hass.io Add-ons project.

GitHub Release GitLab CI Project Stage Project Maintenance

Supports armhf Architecture Supports aarch64 Architecture Supports amd64 Architecture Supports i386 Architecture

Take back control of your GitHub notifications.

About

If you manage more than one active project on GitHub, you probably find GitHub notifications pretty lacking.

Notifications are marked as read and disappear from the list as soon as you load the page or view the email of the notification. This makes it very hard to keep on top of which notifications you still need to follow up on.

Most open source maintainers and GitHub staff end up using a complex combination of filters and labels in Gmail to manage their notifications from their inbox. If you are like me, try to avoid email, then you might want something else.

Octobox is a beautiful application that manages your GitHub notifications via GitHub’s API, allowing you to filter down by an organization, project, notification type, or the reason why you are receiving the notification in the first place.

It is easy to drill down into the issues that matter to you in the current moment while still allowing you to be subscribed to projects that you’d like to keep an eye on. You can quickly address threads that you’ve authored yourself or remember that you still need to submit your review that someone requested. You can “star” long-running issues that you know might be important down the road.

A real must-have for every GitHub opensource contributor.

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other Hass.io add-on.

1. Add our Hass.io add-ons repository to your Hass.io instance.
    Add the following URL: https://github.com/hassio-addons/repository
  2. Install the “Octobox” add-on.
  3. Register a GitHub application (see next chapter), and set the github_client_id and github_client_secret add-on options.
  4. Start the “Octobox” add-on
  5. Check the logs of the “Octobox” add-on to see if everything went well.

NOTE: Starting the add-on might take a couple of minutes (especially the first time starting the add-on).

Registering a GitHub application

Octobox works as a GitHub application. In order to work, this application must be registered with GitHub. Every registered OAuth application is assigned a unique Client ID and Client Secret, which is needed by this add-on.

Surf to the following URL to register a new GitHub application:

https://github.com/settings/applications/new

You can fill out every piece of information however you like, except the Authorization callback URL. This is easily the most important piece to set up your Octobox. It’s the callback URL that GitHub returns the user to after successful authentication.

The configuration for Octobox should look something like this:

After creating it, GitHub should show you your GitHub’s application Client ID and Client Secret.

Use them both in the matching add-on configuration options.

Support

You can always get support here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!

You have several options to get them answered:

You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:

We will do our best to help you out!

Repository on GitHub

Looking for more add-ons?

The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.

Check out some of our other add-ons in our Community Hass.io Add-ons project.

1 Like

About the author of this add-on

Hi there!

I am Franck Nijhof, and I have 30 years of programming experience, in many languages. I am using this experience to work on the Home Assistant project by giving back my knowledge and time to the open source community.

The add-on you are currently looking at right now was developed/packaged by me. It is not the only add-on I have created; there are many many more :wink:

However, I have a problem… I am an addict. A :coffee: addict that is. Lucky for you, I turn that C8H10N4O2 (caffeine molecule) into code (and add-ons)!

If you want to show your appreciation, consider supporting me for buying a cup of high octane wakey juice via one of the platforms below! :heart:

Sponsor Frenck via GitHub Sponsors

Support Frenck on Patreon

Enjoy your add-on, while I enjoy the brain juice. :coffee:

Thanks for all the :two_hearts:

…/Frenck

Join our Discord server Follow me on Twitter Flollow me on Instragram Follow me on GitHub Follow me on YouTube Follow me on Twitch patreon-icon

P.S.: In case you want to ask me a question: AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most of the time I am online at the Discord chat. (I go by @Frenck in there as well).

Hi there,

i have a (stupid) question. Is it possible to use this addon in the normal homeassistant version too?

If not, what are the difference why its not possible? I know hass.io is its own OS and hass.io has somedifference, but in principle it should work?

BTW: good work! And thanks for sharing

That is not a stupid question at all!
But the answer is no, you cannot use this add-on without Hass.io. The add-on relies on the Hass.io API and features. Hass.io is a Docker based system, add-ons are Docker containers managed by Hass.io.

You can always look into running things manually. Octobox provides different installation methods and a public free to use version as well (octobox.io), nevertheless, the public version has fewer features.

:tada: Release v0.1.1

Full Changelog

Fixed

• Adds missing apache2-utils package

:tada: Release v0.2.0

Full Changelog

Changed

• Upgrades base image to v2.0.1
  • Upgrades autoconf to 2.69-r2
  • Upgrades curl-dev to 7.61.0-r0
  • Upgrades gcc g++ to 6.4.0-r8
  • Upgrades libsass to 3.5.4-r0
  • Upgrades libxml2 to 2.9.8-r0
  • Upgrades libxslt to 1.1.32-r0
  • Upgrades make to 4.2.1-r2
  • Upgrades MariaDB-dev to 10.2.15-r0
  • Upgrades apache2-utils to 2.4.33-r1
  • Upgrades git to 2.18.0-r0
  • Upgrades nginx to 1.14.0-r0
  • Upgrades nodejs to 8.11.3-r1
  • Get ruby from release repo

:tada: Release v0.3.0

Full Changelog

Changed

• Upgrades base image to v2.1.2
  • Upgrades postgresql to 10.5-r0
  • Upgrades ruby-bundler to 1.16.2-r1
  • Sets default Shell
  • Upgrades hadolint to latest
  • Enables SSL by default
  • Enforces authentication and HaveIBeenPwned checks
  • Updates README and links
  • Upgrades NodeJS to 8.11.4-r0
  • Upgrades Octobox to bdd77e9
  • Fixes Postgres file permissions issue (#2)
  • Upgrades apache2-utils to 2.4.34-r0

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

:tada: Release v0.4.0

Full Changelog

• Move LANG ENV, and add a description to it (#5)
  • Upgrades curl-dev to 7.61.1-r0
  • Upgrades nginx to 1.14.0-r1
  • Adds Hassio API security role
  • Upgrades base image to v2.3.0
  • Upgrades Octobox to b145970
  • Fixes /opt permissions error in add-on log
  • Improvements to spelling & grammar

:tada: Release v0.4.1

:warning: This is an important release. :warning:

Let me start by saying I’m very sorry for the v0.4.0 release.
Multiple things went wrong in that release, which now, might lead up to you losing your current Octobox data.
I’m a victim of this as well; I’ve lost about 15k notifications because of all of this.

So what happened? Well, multiple things went wrong:

• The add-on relied on an Hassio token for security, which used to be a fixed and unique key for the lifetime of the add-on. This recently changed, causing the key to change each time the add-on starts, resulting in a new encryption key, making your encrypted data useless.
  • The security/encryption methods changed in the Octobox. Unfortunately, this was only mentioned in the (extremely long) changelog AND in the installation guide. Hence me missing this.
  • I configured the database migrations wrongly, this was already in there since the first release.

This is not to blame on Hassio or Octobox but on me. I should have caught all of the above, which I obviously failed at.

All the above is, of course, fixed now, but it might be possible damage is already done.

Sorry again.

…/Frenck

Full Changelog

• Upgrades GCC/G++ to 6.4.0-r9
  • Adds support for opening issues in same browser tab
  • Run database migrations and sync in correct environment
  • Allows sync failures on add-on start
  • Do not rely on HASSIO_TOKEN for secrets

:warning: This add-on is now deprecated.

Initially, this add-on was created to provide a full-blown Octobox experience.
The experience offered on their website (octobox.io) was limited.

Things changed, octobox.io now provides a full-blown experience and integrates with GitHub organizations in a way, that this add-on never could offer.

Secondly, maintenance on this add-on is time-consuming and a pain to do (due to Ruby and its versions).

Therefore I have decided to deprecate this add-on.

…/Frenck

1 Like