Home Assistant Community Add-on: Pi-hole

Is there anyway to update to 3.3 as well as get in the addon and clear out logs - and/or user teleporter to export settings so i could setup from scratch?

No there is no way to upgrade the Pi-hole installation in the add-on from the user side.

Nevertheless, Iā€™m working on a update.

1 Like

:tada: Release v1.0.0

This release upgrades Pi-hole to v3.3, solves some bugs (thanks for reporting!) and implements the new Hass.io security layer :rocket:

The add-on is now declared stable as well :slight_smile:

Full Changelog

Added

• Adds add-on icon
  • Adds note about the static IP requirement

Fixed

• Fixes Teleporter functionality
  • Fixes persistent custom upstream DNS servers

Changed

• Upgrades add-on base image to v1.3.3
  • Optimizes add-on logo
  • Upgrades Pi-hole to v3.3
1 Like

Hi,

did anyone experience no data in logs after update? Blocking still works, just no data after 9:02PM
I am not sure that update caused it as I was changing hosts setings around same time ā€¦
Anbody?

Did you solve the issue with no data showing? I saw your edit, but Iā€™m experiencing that as well, plus weird client names (jp or cn)

Yes, I was able to solve this issue by uninstalling and installing add-on again.

Was going to do the same :slight_smile:
Thanks!!

Can anyone suggest me a way to configure Pi-hole add-on so I can see client names instead of IP addresses ?
Is adding hosts to configuration a way to do it?
ā€œhostsā€: [ { ā€œnameā€: ā€œprinter.localā€, ā€œipā€: ā€œ192.168.1.5ā€ }] ?
Or is it better to config hosts on router DHCP ?

Any tips will be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hmmā€¦ @MrUkleja This is actually a bug/flaw in the setup in combination with Hass.io.

Hassio itself does not use Pi-hole for DNS lookup, resulting in Pi-hole asking the PTR/Reverse lookup to the wrong resource (upstream DNS).

This should be fixable :slight_smile:

running into an odd issue - i removed pihole to reinstall and fix my logs that got borked - used teleporter to export settings (working now in 1.0!!) but when i go to reinstall i canā€™t. i get this error in my logs

18-03-20 15:17:48 ERROR (SyncWorker_18) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install hassioaddons/pi-hole-armhf:1.0.0 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:36639->[::1]:53: read: connection refused"). 18-03-20 15:17:48 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.api.security] /addons/a0d7b954_homebridge/info access from a0d7b954_homebridge

@grahamr

My guess: You Hass.io gets its network configuration from DHCP. Your DHCP is giving out Pi-hole DNS?
Youā€™ve removed Pi-hole, therefore you broke DNS resolving and resulting in Docker canā€™t download?

Ensure you configure your Hass.io device with a STATIC network configurationā€¦

1 Like

I checked it allā€¦ soemthing wonky going on for sure. Resin config is static, using just google dns.
Router is now handing out my backup pihole and google.
Rebooted the whole pi and Iā€™m still seeing this overall.
I know hass is pulling DNS right because darksky is working. Very very odd.

Backup dns server will work for now. Wondering if there is a host update from 1.3 or something.

Edit: to close the loop I think my card was dying. I built a new install and started over with my old config and itā€™s all good.

[connection]
id=resin-ethernet
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth0
permissions=
secondaries=

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.2.115/24,192.168.2.1;
dns=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

I had the same issue. While I was troubleshooting, the System tab in Hassio borked itself and Hassio didnā€™t know what OS I was running, and I no longer had the links to shutdown or restart the OS. SSH (the stock version) couldnā€™t restart the OS either, so I had to pull the plug. Still borked after the restart, so I ended up installing a fresh image of Hassio. Installed Pi-hole and all is well. I donā€™t know if the two issues were related, or just an unhappy coincidence, but I figured Iā€™d mention it.

Iā€™m having trouble with Pi-hole + DuckDNS/Letā€™s Encrypt
I can reach the Pi-hole with port 80 (http) but when I try reaching it with https I get ā€œ404: Not Foundā€. Any ideas of what Iā€™m doing wrong here? I have opened ports and followed every instructions to install it.

1 Like

so two days ago updated to latest and no longer working. did a fresh install and no joy. wont update lists.
hassio addon is set to default

{
ā€œlog_levelā€: ā€œinfoā€,
ā€œpasswordā€: ā€œ123456789!ā€,
ā€œupdate_lists_on_startā€: true,
ā€œhttp_portā€: 80,
ā€œhttps_portā€: 443,
ā€œdns_portā€: 53,
ā€œsslā€: false,
ā€œcertfileā€: ā€œfullchain.pemā€,
ā€œkeyfileā€: ā€œprivkey.pemā€,
ā€œinterfaceā€: ā€œā€,
ā€œipv6ā€: true,
ā€œipv4_addressā€: ā€œā€,
ā€œipv6_addressā€: ā€œā€,
ā€œvirtual_hostā€: ā€œā€,
ā€œhostsā€:
}

[i] Neutrino emissions detectedā€¦
[i] Pulling blocklist source list into rangeā€¦

[āœ“] Pulling blocklist source list into range
[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[i] Status: Pendingā€¦

[āœ—] Status: Connection Refused
[āœ—] List download failed: no cached list available
[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

[i] Target: zeustracker.abuse.ch (blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_tracking.txt)

@Dominic Does your Hassio device have a static network configuration with an external DNS server(s) set?

This is actually a bug in the upgrade process of the add-on. I will be deploying a fix for this asap.

after reading this thread this is the one thing i am not sure about. my dhcp is set by my router with the hassio having a static ip 10.0.1.44. the dns is also set by the router which use to be set to 10.0.1.44 which worked great (when i use to run hassbian and HA and also on hassio and prior to update). i thought if i turned off the dns during initial setup it could at least update the lists once so i set my routers dns back to normal and this didnā€™t help. is there somewhere in hassio where i set static and dns? (iā€™m sure i could goggle this)

looks like i have to edit a resin file to set static and dns. poo

is it possible to use the addon also as DHCP server and assign static IP address to specific mac addresses?

If yes, how to do it in settings?