Community made automated blinds [Help needed]

Hello Everybody,

I can reply here but it is really hard for us to monitor every space so if any of you has more specific questions, I’d ask you to turn to our support.

We have a community made Raspberry Pi integrations that people can build on:

https://bitbucket.org/jeremynoel476/smartblinds-diy

We have a SOMA Connect device for those who are not interested in DIY and just want to take the existing Smart Shades into their Amazon Alexa or Apple HomeKit enabled home.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi thank you would you help me with the cover to choose a position

Does anyone use a method of automating the tilt of vertical blinds that use a twist pole to adjust?

My thought was to remove the pole, mount a servo directly onto the spindle, wind one way for open, other for closed, but not sure it will manage the torque required (twisting torque) and it will also be very difficult to mount to keep the wife happy…

Any suggestions please let me know. Whenever I look online I find plenty of DIYs for strings or chains, but none for poles :frowning:

I built this one for my horizontal blinds, which connects to the spindle as you were thinking. It should be possible to modify the idea for vertical blinds. I had to design a different connector between the stepper motor and the pole connection to fit my blinds. For the controller, I used this code which is intended for a roller blind but works great for tilting as well.

Although the stepper motor is really small and runs at 5v it works perfectly with my blinds which are about 7 feet * 5 feet.

I’ve been running it for a couple of months so far through home assistant and it has been 100% reliable and almost silent in operation.

1 Like

can soneone help me i have download all the libraries but wen i try to run the code it says

the code i use is a link in a replay of MartinB

sketch\NidayandHelper.cpp: In member function ‘boolean NidayandHelper::loadconfig()’:

NidayandHelper.cpp:31:3: error: ‘StaticJsonBuffer’ was not declared in this scope

StaticJsonBuffer<200> jsonBuffer;

^

NidayandHelper.cpp:31:25: error: ‘jsonBuffer’ was not declared in this scope

^

NidayandHelper.cpp:34:22: error: ‘ArduinoJson::JsonVariant’ has no member named ‘success’

if (!this->_config.success()) {

^

sketch\NidayandHelper.cpp: In member function ‘boolean NidayandHelper::saveconfig(ArduinoJson::JsonVariant)’:

NidayandHelper.cpp:52:8: error: ‘ArduinoJson::JsonVariant’ has no member named ‘printTo’

json.printTo(configFile);

^

NidayandHelper.cpp:55:8: error: ‘ArduinoJson::JsonVariant’ has no member named ‘printTo’

json.printTo(Serial);

^

C:\Users\pepij\Desktop\motor-on-roller-blind-ws-master\motor_on_a_roller_blind-ws\motor_on_a_roller_blind-ws.ino: In function ‘bool saveConfig()’:

motor_on_a_roller_blind-ws:82:3: error: ‘StaticJsonBuffer’ was not declared in this scope

^

motor_on_a_roller_blind-ws:82:25: error: ‘jsonBuffer’ was not declared in this scope

^

exit status 1
‘StaticJsonBuffer’ was not declared in this scope

do i miss somthing?