Complete noob! Help

I have been considering the move from SmartThings to HA for a long time. I finally started putting the pieces together.

I ordered an RPI4 4GB, a PNY SSD and a USB3 SSD case (not sure the brand) along with a Zooz Zwave Stick to swap all my Zwave Stuff over to HA.

I watched a bunch of videos, I set up the RPI4 to boot from SSD and downloaded images wrote to it all.

That part all went easy.

I turned the RPI4 on (Connected to a monitor) and let it do its thing for the first time and watched everything “install” / start up.

It finally came to a prompt that says home assistant: I thought cool… So I tried to access it. Didn’t find it.

So I waited and waited and waited thinking it would take time.

Still nothing…

So I just tried to login to the prompt on the pi just typing a random username. Then typed Root and it took me into something saying something about the emergency console and my partition is not mounted.

Is this because I didn’t choose the suggested SSD and cable? (Didn’t see the list when I originally ordered the stuff months ago). Or is there just something wrong with this image?

I have a few other PC options and plan some other projects. I’m not super into linux but can google things. I was hoping I’d be able to keep the HA as a separate install some place in my rack. \

I just want to set up a reliable non cloud home automation system. We aren’t super fancy with our automations, just turning lights on and off. We just are sick of smartthings and its everything in the cloud when our internet goes out.

Thoughts / advice?

Use the official documentation:

There are at least four installation methods and, based on what you wrote, I believe you installed the Home Assistant OS image for RPI4. Is that correct?

Correct I used the official image and followed all the guides.

FWIW, I searched the forum for “energency console” and found this:

Not all USB3 SSD/HDD cases work with RPI4, so I would suggest testing Home Assistant with a micro SD card and see if you get past the initial loading screen. If it works, then your USB3 case is likely the culprit. There was a forum post that recommended some cases

I was in the same boat as you and moved most of my Z-Wave devices off of Smartthings and onto HA hosted on an RPI4. Unfortunately, you may find some Z-Wave devices that refuse to pair with your Z-Wave stick and only work with Smartthings. You won’t know until you try unfortunately! The SmartThings integration with Home Assistant is an option, although it relies on an internet connection.

Thanks all. I ordered another SSD and cable to try. Should be here tomorrow. So I’ll just start over and see if I can get it to work. Or I’ll return it all and try it with another device.

Another thing to note, it may be safer to boot off the USB2 port instead of the USB3 port of the Pi. That is what I’m doing and I swear I read that recommendation somewhere while doing research…