Conbee II and Deconz is there a better solution?

Hi all,
Currently I’m using a conbee II with deconz and I’m quite pleased of how is structured and how it’s integrated with home assistant.
Unfortunately I’m having a lot of unresposivity on my network, I think I’ve tried everything as you can see here and I’m still trying to find a solution.
I’d really like to not switch to something else but I just wondering if there is some other and better option to suggest (something that is obviously integretated with home assistant so that I can preserve all my automation if I’ll match the acual etities name in the now integration).

Thank you in advance

Yes, there are way better Zigbee coordinators based on the CC2652/CC2652P chipset.

The Conbee II uses a much older Zugbee chipset, can manage less devices with smaller reach.

Personally I found the DeConz software strange and prefer Zigbee2MQTT.

That said you should also checki if you have 2.4GHz WiFi and Zigbee interference (caveat: Zigbee channels are differently numbered then WiFi channels even when using the same spectrum). You can get some background information here

However you will have to touch all your automations and update device entities after switching your coordinator.

Is there a particular coordinator model that you can suggest?

Actually my wifi is on channel 1 and the ZigBee network is on channel 25 but there are many other wifi networks from the neighborhood (I’ve posted a screenshot on the link above).

When I switched the coordinator from homey pro (bridged to HA using mqtt) I did have to change only a couple of automations. I used the same entity name of the previous coordinator and the sensors worked immediately on every automation that uses the same entity_id name (and not the device_id). Won’t it be similar if I’ll switch to something like ZigBee2mqtt?

Thank you in advance

I can recommend the ZigStar v4 (Linked here) or the products from TubeSZ Linked here

I had the ConBee II and it was unresponsive as well.They deny there is an issue, but there is. Replaced it with a Sonoff ZigBee 3.0 Stick and it works as expected.

Avoid ConBee Sticks.

I’m really tempted to try SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle plus since it’s available on Amazon.
The worst part is messing with a lot of sensors used in a lot of automations. Do you suggest to run ZigBee2mqtt as add-on on home assistant or use a separate device?

Do I have to flash the firmware like in this guide before using it with zigbee2mqtt?

I switched to ZigBee2mqtt using the sonoff USB + as coordinator.
After repairing all the network and replace almost every osram/ladvance/lightigy device with aqara or Ikea ones (except for 4 bulbs) I had to adjust manually the connections with routers and end devices leaving the coordinator directly connected with less end devices as possible.

Now the network seems really reliable the 99% of the times and the network has more devices than before

4 Likes