Conbee II firmware "not connected"

Hello everyone. I got a home assistant blue and as you may know the learning curve is really steep so I’m sorry if this issue has already been answered in the past.

I’ve been searching quite a lot among GitHub issues, this forum and reddit, but ny proposed solution didn’t work for me.

The problem:

I got a conbee 2, installed deconz add-on on my home assistant blue, and all was working fine. I was even able to discover a hue motion sensor. Happy it worked at first try, then I upgraded the cone firmware. On phoscon app in the gateway section the firmware row says “Not connected”. it doesn’t discover anything anymore, decent if I press “connect” it ends in timeout.
I tried to uninstall and install zha instead. Zha correctly says that a new integration is available, but when I run the configuration I get “Failed to probe usb”. In the hardware section the cone is correctly discovered.

I tried to install mqtt2zigbee followed documentation to do that so I installed the Matt broker first, setup the user, fixed the config adding adapter: deconz in the mqtt section… but opening the web ui I was getting “502 bad gateway”. On logs the error was error while starting zigbee-herdsman and the actual error description undefined

I’m honestly short on ideas, anything I tried reading on other posts has been unsuccessful and that’s the only reason I’m posting here… Clearly there are some debug technics I don’t know yet, and there is something I’m missing… Please help.

The cone 2 Is connected through a usb extension as advised.

I didn’t try to downgrade the cone because 1. I have a Mac and I’m not sure on how to do it from here; 2. I’m not sure which version was installed before when it worked…

Few details about my configuration:

Home Assistant OS 6.5
supervisor-2021.10.0
core-2021.10.6

This is a known bug when updating through the addon. Put your stick in a different installation that can handle the upgrade without any container layer between the software and hardware. Any windows computer would do

Is there any way to do it via ssh on the home assistant blue? I don’t have a windows machine… :confused:

I have no idea

just an update. like you said, it’s an issue related to the fact I updated using the add-on.

To fix this:

download GCFFlasher: https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/gcfflasher
Build it on your machine, then use it to flash your Conbee II.

Caveat: If you have a new Mac, the build will succeed, but it looks like the flat process through usb-c (with adaptor) doesn’t work. So I connected the Conbee II to my home assistant blue (which runs Linux Alpine under the hood), connected via ssh, installed gcc, downloaded the repo, built the flasher and flashed the Conbee device.

Works now.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I faced the same issue today with a brand new ConBee II stick and Home Assistant OS 7.1 on an Arch KVM server with the USB in passthrough.

On my linux desktop I also installed deCONZ to see if the problem was also there, and yes, I couldn’t even connect thought the deCONZ desktop app either. So I decided to flash the firmware.

I managed to burn the latest firmware for the USB stick on my linux host (AUR has gcfflasher package from git) and download the firmware from Index of /deconz-firmware/.

So far, so good. But when I tried again deCONZ desktop app, I wasn’t able to connect either… so I tried to run the application with sudo, and then it connected in a second.

Then, I plugged the USB on the KVM host, passthrough the USB to the VM and started it. But on there, I’m not able to connect yet, the Phoscon web app shows the USB firmware as “Not connected” (like the OP screenshot), and deCONZ desktop application behaves like on my desktop: never connects. lsusb command shows the USB properly detected.

I wonder if there are any missing permission, as on my desktop it worked if I was root, but not as my normal user. I thought Home Assistant OS was running as root, but I’m not pretty sure as I’m brand new to HAOS.

My specs:
Home Assistant O: Home Assistant OS 7.1 (2021.12.9)
Arch Linux KVM host
supervisor-2021.12.2

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Just for the record, for other people to see this.

I finally decided to set up my conbee II stick on docker, a better solution, as I have everything dockerized. Mapping /dev/ttyAMC0 device was quick and painless.

Phoscon worked great, but I finally dropped it in favor of zigbee2mqtt as it has better hardware supoport.

How long did it take to flash the firmware?

Thank you @malevolent for this remark.
I had a long time now with ConBeeII in a “not connected” state. Referring to /dev/ttyACM0 gave me the idea:
I am running HOAS in a QEMU VM. I always redirected the USB-Host of the ConBee stick to the VM. After now forwarding “just” the serial device, it works like a charm including even a FW update through the web interface.

I found some additional help here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/conbee-ii-and-kvm/333560/2 which resulted for me in a similar solution. This is even detected in HOAS and I configure the Integration and automagically all devices show up.

I hope this helps someone else, as I found plenty of disillusioned posts everywhere that ConBeeII is not working for them.