ConBee II ZHA setup fails

I have Hue lights, motion sensors and dimmer switches.

• :white_check_mark: The lights have always worked with HA
  • :white_check_mark: Sensors for the motion sensors since (part of?) Hue-sensors-HASS was merged in to HA
  • :x: I have no sensors for the dimmer switches, though this is part of Hue-sensors-HASS

After some research I decided to get the ConBee II Zigbee stick to use with the ZHA component while waiting for native dimmer switch support, with the view to potentially replace my Hue hub with this.

After plugging in the stick I was able to see it in Hass.io’s Hardware section, so my component config is as follows:

zha:
  usb_path: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE1997136-if00
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

(/config/zigbee.db is apparently the correct value for Hass.io, though this isn’t in the docs)

When Home Assistant starts I get the following in my logs:

Error setting up entry /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE1997136-if00 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 179, in async_setup
    hass, self
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 109, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 123, in async_initialize
    await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 113, in startup
    await self.initialize()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 62, in initialize
    await e.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/ezsp.py", line 55, in reset
    await self._gw.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 208, in reset
    return await asyncio.wait_for(self._reset_future, timeout=RESET_TIMEOUT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 449, in wait_for
    raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

Any ideas or suggestions to fix this? I appreciate there is a deCONZ addon but this seems a bit heavy-handed just for getting access to my dimmer switches. I’d probably rather wait for this to arrive in HA (will it?) or set up the custom component.

Does anybody else have this same setup working? I’m running HA 0.97.1 Hassos 3.3 64bit on a Pi 4.

Inevitably, I’ve fixed this soon after posting.

Due to this in the documentation and no mention of the Integrations page, I assumed I needed a configuration.yaml entry:

To configure the component, a zha section must be present in the configuration.yaml

But removing this manual config and manually adding ZHA on the Integrations page has worked:

screenshot

(the default Radio Type of ezsp failed, deconz had to be selected)

This has given me battery sensors for the Hue remotes, and I can listen to their events to make automations by subscribing to zha_event on the Events page.

For future reference, Anybody using the Raspbee adaptor for the raspberry pi, The device path is; /dev/serial0

I like the zha addon better already thanks to the quirks

1 Like