Condition: While not playing or started?

I want a condition which basically says do as long as media player isn’t playing.
But if my media player isn’t even turned on it won’t show up under devices so then I guess a normal state condition will fail?

I don’t know if this will work for you but the only place I have seen “does not equal” or anything like “is not” used is in templates. I imagine Appdaemon would be worth looking at too.

I don’t understand templates properly, I would guess something along the lines of {{states.media_player.playername.state != ‘playing’}}

Perhaps @ih8gates might be able to help you? He is excellent with media players (and everything else!)

Thanks, I’ll try that. But is there some way of checking if the entity even exists?

I guess you example will fail as it checks if the player is playing, but if the player dosen’t even exist?

If the player does not exist then at least it definitely will not be playing.

When you say it does not show up under devices do you mean the player does not show up as an entity in the developer tools/states?

You should see it here when you go to

http://192.168.x.xx:8123/dev-state

click the yellow bit < >

I don’t show up until it’s turned on, but I can define it manually and it’ll be there. Then I guess it’s just a matter or doing two condition and look for ‘idle’ and ‘paused’ ?