Configurating HmIP-RFUSB to talk to Homematic devices

I’m running Hass.io (ver. 166 ) and Home Assistant (latest: I think ver. 0.94.3) in docker containers on my desktop computer (Debian Buster).

Now I try to integrate my radiator thermostats (old Homematic, not Homematic IP) using a HmIP-RFUSB - a USB-stick rf-transceiver from Homematic. For that I installed the HomeMatic OCCU addon, plugged in the USB stick and did the following configuration:

Addon configuration:

{
  "rf_enable": true,
  "rf": [
    {
      "type": "CCU2",
      "device": "/dev/ttyUSB0"
    }
  ],
  "wired_enable": false,
  "wired": [
    {
      "serial": "xy",
      "key": "abc",
      "ip": "192.168.0.0"
    }
  ],
  "hmip_enable": false,
  "hmip": [
    {
      "type": "HMIP_CCU2",
      "device": "/dev/ttyUSB0"
    }
  ]
}

HA configuration.yaml:

homematic:
  interfaces:
    rf:
      host: core-homematic
      port: 2001
    wired:
      port: 2000
    hmip:
      port: 2010

First the addon start seems to be successful but after restarting the HA I received the message (from HA) ‘’:
HA-OCCU-2019-06-22_16-35
and looking into the Addon I found, it had not started correctly and showed the error message:

/run.sh: line 42: /sys/class/gpio/export: Read-only file system

I don’t know how to see the rights in the the docker instance but on the host computer /sys/class/gpio/export has --w------- and the ownership is root.root (write only for root). And why is the addon trying to access something with GPIO? The device is a USB-stick and the program is not running on a RaspberryPi.

Looking under Hass.io - System - Hardware I can see /dev/ttyUSB0 appear/vanish when plugging/unplugging the USB-stick.

Has anyone successfully used the HmIP-RFUSB to access Homematic devices? What am I doing wrong?

Hello Volker,

is your problem solved or du you have a solution? I’m trying to get Homematic OCCU add-on running on HomeAssistant and running in the same problem.

Regards - Machnetz

Hello!

I have hassio running on the Proxmox with ZWave and Zigbee USB dongles working well.
Recently I’ve bought HmIP-RFUSB and intalled it according to instructions and many many posts… But it doesn’t work.
I have no idea how it should be configured :frowning:

Configuration.yaml:

homematic:
local_ip: 192.168.1.99 # my HomeAssistant IP
local_port: 8123 # my HomeAssistant port
interfaces:
rf:
host: 192.168.1.77 #should it be my ProxMox IP? or what?
port: 2001
callback_ip: 192.168.1.99
callback_port: 8123
wired:
host: 192.168.1.77
port: 2000
hmip:
port: 2010
group:
port: 9292
path: /groups

Addon-config:

rf_enable: false
wired_enable: false
hmip_enable: true
rf:

• type: CCU2
    device: /dev/ttyAMA0
    wired:
  • serial: xy
    key: abc
    ip: 192.168.0.0
    hmip:
  • type: HMIP_CCU2
    device: /dev/ttyUSB0
    regahss_reset: false

I can open WebUI, but it seems to be not connected to the HomeAssistant.
When I change rf_enable to true, it is possible to start Homematic but it cannot be opened.
Tried to change
/dev/ttyAMA0
to
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_eQ-3_HmIP-RFUSB_-if00-port0 (from system/hardware section)
but it didn’t work.

Could you help me with this integration, please?

I don’t have experience with such setups, but I think manual configuration of local_port and callback_port are breaking things. The port that is used for HomeMatic communication is NOT the regular port Home Assistant operates on, as HomeMatic is using a totally different protocol.
If you set the http component to use another port than 8123 (like 443 for SSL for example), then your setup could work. But by default 8123 is where the Home Assistant webserver is listening. Hence you have to set the port for HomeMatic to another port.
Most users don’t even have to set those values, as they are auto-detected and work in standard-setups. Proxmox might make a difference because of how the networking works. But I’d start from a configuration as clean as possible.

So to sum this up: remove all the local_* and callback_* settings. If it doesn’t work, add back the *_ip settings. If it still doesn’t work, add the *_port settings, but with a different port than 8123.

Thank you very, very much!
I have tried all of your suggestions.
I have already tried the clean config and changed it several times according to different ideas from your post and other sites.

When I put the most simple setings into the configuration.yaml the addon starts and my USB dongle is detected as HmIP-RCV 50. But I cannot teach-in my device (weather station).

When I change rf_enable from false to true, the addon is stopped (502: Bad Gateway).
So maybe my problem is somewhere else? For example de rf device path?
As I wrote I tried to change
/dev/ttyAMA0
to
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_eQ-3_HmIP-RFUSB_-if00-port0
which was taken from the system/hardware section in HomeAssistant but it didn’t work.

Please, check my idea of HomeAssistant <-> HomeMatic connection:
HomeAssistant (192.168.1.99:8123)
needs to communicate bidirectly with
HomeMatic (192.168.1.xx:2001 for RF or 192.168.1.xx:2010 for hmip).
For that reaseon I need to use two different IP.
I don’t know what IP for HomeMatic (192.168.1.xx) should i choose: the IP of ProxMox or the new IP?
Does the HmIP-RFUSB device need to get its own IP in the local network?

My idea was to connect HmIP-RFUSB with HmIP-SWO-PR without internet connection (local polling). Maybe I should buy CCU3 and connect it via cloud?

That sounds correct. I don’t use such hardware, but I think that is how it should be.

Somebody else has to help with that. I don’t know how devices are paired with this setup.

I don’t know how the add-on works. But as mentioned above, port 8123 will almost certainly will not be the correct port. That’s already blocked by Home Assistant, so it can not be 8123.
Since your device is for HmIP, you probably should disable rf. There should be a similar option for HmIP which has to be enabled. rf is for the old non-IP devices.
It could be, that for the target-IP of the virtual CCU you can use 127.0.0.1 because it’s the same machine. But if not, is there an IP address that can be configured for the add-on? If so, that’s the IP you have to use in the interfaces section. And if you don’t have Hardware for HM(IP)-Wired and HM-RF, remove those from your configuration. There’s no point in configuring protocols for which you don’t even have the hardware. For HmIP you only need the one with port 2010.
As stated before, you probably don’t need most oft the options you have defined for all those IPs and Ports. The first thing you should get working is the CCU-UI and pair your device. Only after you have been successful with that it makes sense to continue with adding the integration to Home Assistant.
And no, you don’t have to, and probably should not use different IPs because it’s the same machine. Only if the add-on is reachable by a different IP.

Please also read section 11 of this post and format your configuration correctly. adding it here directly messes up everything and it can’t be read correctly.