Configuration GUI

I believe my configurator is not what this thread revolves around. Thanks for the traffic though. :smiley:

I would be interested in some of the work on a more robust GUI for editing things. I think a middle ground strategy when projects find debate around maintenance costs of a new thing is to expose the system for extensibility but keep the thing outside of core.

What I mean by this is the above merged configurator PR can probably act as a basis for an API that allows remote configuration management, of which one consumer is the ace editor based one. Then more robust client app has to manage state locally and then send an appropriately serialized message to this API. This can be done entirely in the client. It’s not an issue of JSON to YAML but “objects” to YAML which is a normal use case of a (de)serialization library of which there are ones that can run in JavaScript.

The other nice things about rich single page webapps is they can be “deployed” as a simple static reference (very simple packaging mechanics) and web components are pretty awesome - I can see the configuration grammar lending well to this.

There was one comment about devs focusing on other stuff but I must say, some people are just interested in different things!

I have returned to HASS after a fairly lengthy absence and its great to see both my suggestions, the validator and the GUI restart for HASS, mentioned in my post above, have since been implemented in the HASS.io install that I have just started playing with on Friday! :grin::grin::grin:

HASS keeps going from strength to strength! Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I never see anyone mentioning domoticz, but its very easy to use and configure. The interface is outdated